Job interview

Al Cain

I give it a week before we have an impressionable New Generation-er post a thread on here telling us how he was offered the position of Chief Lighting Superperson on a really important production after following that advice to the letter ;)

With that tactic, it depends on the venue... Walk into a Gay club asking for a job and you will have constant work ;)

I find smart shoes, black suit pants and a black shirt with some sort of smart coat a good winner. I have only ever been to a few interviews and a suit has never been required. The only industry event I wear a suit for is Knight Of Illumination!

Thanks.

I'd consider wearing blacks to an interview is an affectation. It might not count badly against you in this industry but it's not a plus point at any interview either.

Look at it this way...blacks are sort of a uniform you wear on the job. However, if you were applying to be a policeman or a fireman, it would be a bit strange to turn up for the interview wearing a helmet or carrying an axe or truncheon.

I repeat my earlier advice: you can't go wrong with a suit or jacket, tie and dress trousers combination--dressing up can't hurt and might help. The only exception to this would obviously be turning up hoping for casual work on a get in or similar--but that's hardly an interview.

I think that older interviewers would look less favourably on casual clothing or blacks and one tip is make sure that shoes are polished well. "A gentleman can be seen from the state of his footwear". There is research to show that the real interview lasts 30 seconds or so, first impressions are not important, they are just about everything. Attitude and body language are as important as appearance.

For interview tips Google 'interview first impressions' for a host of websites.

I have to say though, that my mental image combining Ram's approach with Bobbsy's axe may not get you the job but you'd most likely be offered free accommodation at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Archived