Bolt Set

gsarchive

We use Nylocs throughout and find that as long as you're careful with tightening them (or rather careful not to over-tighten them) they stay adjustable to refocus but still solid enough not to move on their own. You really need the spring washer though.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd use a m10/12 headlock (one spanner now required, not two) - yoke - washer - hookclamp - washer - spring washer - nut. And make sure it's a good gauge washer IMO.

We are using the very nifty Doughty trigger clamp on all our kit and recommend them more than anything, as you can lock the lantern off on the bar more securely than you can with a hooklamp. Better SWL and overrigging potentials too!

For me:

Bolt -> washer -> yoke -> washer -> clamp -> washer -> spring washer -> Nyloc.

If you tighten it up just the right amount there's easily enough friction to hold the lantern where you point it, while still allowing it to be refocused. Better still, nothing comes loose and you don't need to faff about with tools at the tope of the scope/scaff tower/Zarges/MEWP to lock the damn thing off!

• 1 year later...

I can see this is a thread that will never go away...

I got rid of all my pro gear about twenty years ago but am slowly acquiring bits and bods for our local folk club, much of it consumer tat.

I've recently acquired some wind up stands that use a drilled 38mm pipe as a T bar and long(ish) M8 bolts. Needless to say, each bolt only has one washer and wing nut. I've had a trip to B&Q to stock up on verious sizes of washers and spring washers.

I want to fit Minuette Fresnels to these, most of them are tapped M10 but the odd one might be clearance. With M8 bolts, they will all be clearance!

They will get used once a fortnight and as there is only a 30 minute get-in before the half, they will be meat racked rather than broken down.

Anyway, I'd like them to stay were they are put at focus but have enough give to perhaps inch them at the interval by reaching up rather than getting the ladder out if I decide to refocus for whatever reason.

In this scenario, might it be better to go bolt, washer, yoke, washer, spring washer, drilled pipe, washer, wingnut?

I'd rather have my Manfrotto wind-ups back with TV spigots but that isn't realistic.

Any advice appreciated.

Anyway, I'd like them to stay were they are put at focus but have enough give to perhaps inch them at the interval by reaching up rather than getting the ladder out if I decide to refocus for whatever reason.

Which is why I go...

Bolt - Washer - Yoke - Thick Nylon Washer - Hook Clamp - Washer - Spring Washer - Nyloc

Sadly, most of mine go rusty bolt, yoke, rusty nut. Oh the luxury of wing nuts and a few washers, let alone Nylocs and the other bits!

Not too expensive at B & Q in bags of 10 or 25, they go up to M12, probably even cheaper trade. Not certain they do Nylocs though.

Sadly, most of mine go rusty bolt, yoke, rusty nut. Oh the luxury of wing nuts and a few washers, let alone Nylocs and the other bits!

Not too expensive at B & Q in bags of 10 or 25, they go up to M12, probably even cheaper trade. Not certain they do Nylocs though.

£2.83 for 100 M10 washers from screwfix, vs £2.78 for a pack of 25 from B & Q- Whilst B & Q are fine if you are really stuck, they're not exactly the cheapest for fixtures & fittings!

Bolt->washer->yoke->washer->spring washer->nyloc. If you tighten the nyloc correctly the lantern will stay where you point it, let you easily tweak or change the focus without tools, and not loosen.

...nyloc for tilt and never gave me much trouble if they got lightly nipped up in annual maintenance...

Didn't they used to have a fibre washer between the yoke and body or am I thinking of someone else's?

£2.83 for 100 M10 washers from screwfix, vs £2.78 for a pack of 25 from B & Q- Whilst B & Q are fine if you are really stuck, they're not exactly the cheapest for fixtures & fittings!

And of course B and Q own Screwfix!

...nyloc for tilt and never gave me much trouble if they got lightly nipped up in annual maintenance...

Didn't they used to have a fibre washer between the yoke and body or am I thinking of someone else's?

Alas, I can't remember. Not even certain I ever took my hoops off.

Got some '64 cans recently that only tilt from horizontal to vertical (down). What's that all about? I like skimming ceilings but don't want to necessarily mount the lantern above the bar.

Bolt->washer->yoke->washer->spring washer->nyloc. If you tighten the nyloc correctly the lantern will stay where you point it, let you easily tweak or change the focus without tools, and not loosen.

No hook clamp then? ;-)

Archived