Advice on DMX Controlling please

smr

I think Paul answered this in post #11

yeah... I thought he might have meant the light doesn't do sound to light from the light itself but via software it might work. This was the reason for my last question and it's been answered then.

Bit disappointed in that if I'm being honest, but I suppose that's what you get for making an impulse buy - especially one when you know nothing about the product other than it looks cool!

I guess it's not really a massive issue though...

To David, yeah I DJ trance....this is just home use where I've got a smoke machine, 3 lasers and have been bangin on about getting a moving head for about a year now to the missus as I just love them. Thanks for the link I'll check that out.

I guess with DMX I should be able to at least control the light and set up certain sequences. Not having sound to light isn't the end of the world I guess... Thanks for the replies guys.

If you set up a chase/cue stack in MagicQ, you can tap to time and sync it reasonably well to the beat. The software runs at 33Hz (iirc), so at higher BPMs it's not as accurate as you might like, and you can't leave it for too long or it tends to get out of sync (good for at least a minute though, and it's easy to tap to time again and get it back in sync). Chamsys also make an audio interface, but it's quite expensive if you're just wanting to control a single moving head.

I think now you'll appreciate that when your DJing somewhere and there's "that lighting technician who looks like he's doing nothing", he is actually doing a lot! Even if he physically isn't pressing buttons and moving faders, all the stuff you see he programmed at some point.

Dont be put off by this... Learn MagicQ, or other peices of lighting software light Like Jockey, MPC, Hog PC, Avo Titan etc because there is alot of work in large city clubs for lighting techs. One day you may want to consider lighting as a career. Research DMX (via the wiki and books) and Lighting programming and even if you don't use it in work, it's a good hobby.

Thanks.

If sound-to-light is a major consideration to you, then I'm not aware of any low-cost computer-based option, the Chamsys audio interface won't leave you any change out of £400.

This means that you will need to consider investing in a dedicated lighting desk. The cheapest option is one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm - quite a versatile desk for £90, gives you 192 DMX control channels, and has a basic sound-to-light interface that will bump through a sequence of scenes - a chase - in time with your bass beat. Don't expect perfect accuracy though!

If you want something more flexible, with a much better sound-to-light engine, look out for a second-hand Pulsar Masterpiece desk on Ebay - the 108 channel model can usually be had for a couple of hundred pounds, and has 2 x 4-band sound-to-light engines, so that different frequencies can drive different parts of your lighting display, e.g. one sequence running in time with your bass beat, another in time with hi-hats. It also does true sound-to-light modulation, so that you can make it drive a dimmer pack and the lights will have the classic disco look, fading in and out in time with different frequencies. Warning - the Masterpiece has a fairly steep learning curve and you will need to invest some time in learning how to use it!

If sound-to-light is a major consideration to you, then I'm not aware of any low-cost computer-based option, the Chamsys audio interface won't leave you any change out of £400.

This means that you will need to consider investing in a dedicated lighting desk. The cheapest option is one of these http://www.thomann.d...dmxmaster_i.htm - quite a versatile desk for £90, gives you 192 DMX control channels, and has a basic sound-to-light interface that will bump through a sequence of scenes - a chase - in time with your bass beat. Don't expect perfect accuracy though!

If you want something more flexible, with a much better sound-to-light engine, look out for a second-hand Pulsar Masterpiece desk on Ebay - the 108 channel model can usually be had for a couple of hundred pounds, and has 2 x 4-band sound-to-light engines, so that different frequencies can drive different parts of your lighting display, e.g. one sequence running in time with your bass beat, another in time with hi-hats. It also does true sound-to-light modulation, so that you can make it drive a dimmer pack and the lights will have the classic disco look, fading in and out in time with different frequencies. Warning - the Masterpiece has a fairly steep learning curve and you will need to invest some time in learning how to use it!

Thanks, but my light won't do sound to light so these options would be no use to me would they?

edit - just realised how it works in that the DMX controller has a mic built in for sound to light to work...

would this unit be any good...

New Transcension DMX Operator 2 DJ DMX Master Comprehensive Lighting Controller? £89.99

http://images.whybuynew.co.uk/21/1299855106_2.jpg

The DMX Master is a comprehensive lighting controller for up to 12 scanners with a maximum of 16 DMX addresses per scanner. 240 programmable scenes are available in 30 banks and 6 complete chase programs, the control unit has a speed control option and can also be set to audio synch operation. Full pan/tilt, black out, fade controls and 8 faders give maximum DMX capabilities. Midi interface, LCD display black-out and master control are also part of the vast array of functions that make this an excellent professional choice for a DMX lightshow.

Features:

• 192 DMX channels
  • Banks each composed of 8 programmable scenes
  • 8 Faders to control the DMX levels
  • Built-in microphone for audio triggers
  • Midi-in
  • 4 Digit LCD display
  • Black-out and master controlled manually or by MIDI
  • Chase programming and chase controlled manually or by MIDI
  • Power input: DC 9V-12V by adaptor (included)

Specifications:

• Power supply: DC 9V-12V by adaptor (included)
  • Dimensions: 482 x 132 x 72
  • Weight: 2.0kgs

Thanks...

edit - bah, just realised its for scanners and not moving heads...

would this unit be any good...

New Transcension DMX Operator 2 DJ DMX Master Comprehensive Lighting Controller? £89.99

If you look at it closely, you'll see that it's virtually identical to the Stairville desk from Thomann - in fact, there are lots of manufactuers with different versions of the same desk. All work the same - you record a sequence of scenes, then step through them, either manually, with a timer, or with the bass beat.

Why they have labelled them scanners I havent the faintest idea.

I agree, they may equally well have used the word 'fixtures'. In any case, the button selects a group of 16 DMX channels.

If you are looking for a control solution to provide sound to light disco type control and you have little experience in lighting you may want to consider paying someone more experienced to help you get started?

While I personally don't like the Masterpiece desks they are probably your best bet as they have brilliant sound to light and can be found pretty cheap second hand. I'd recommend seeing if any lampies local to you would be willing to help you out with getting it all setup. It may even be worth speaking to the seller (if you do decide to buy one) and see if they would be prepared to help out for some extra cash?

If you are looking for a control solution to provide sound to light disco type control and you have little experience in lighting you may want to consider paying someone more experienced to help you get started?

While I personally don't like the Masterpiece desks they are probably your best bet as they have brilliant sound to light and can be found pretty cheap second hand. I'd recommend seeing if any lampies local to you would be willing to help you out with getting it all setup. It may even be worth speaking to the seller (if you do decide to buy one) and see if they would be prepared to help out for some extra cash?

Really, if you're new to lighting you don't want to start out with a Masterpiece, you'd be despairing after a few hours.

Really, if you're new to lighting you don't want to start out with

Actually I reckon going to a disas masterpiece without knowing how other desks work is a big advantage,no need to unlearn the old ways,the fun starts when you move onto something else

Actually I reckon going to a disas masterpiece without knowing how other desks work is a big advantage,no need to unlearn the old ways,the fun starts when you move onto something else

It's not an easy desk to learn though unless you can get one of the dwindling brethren of Masterpiece initiates to show you. The "manual" is awful.

It's not an easy desk to learn

Like any complex controller, you need to give it some time, but the Masterpiece isn't that difficult - there are a few on-line guides that cover the basics. I agree that the manual needs revising, but that's not going to happen!

Archived