Market Research

Jodi.m

I will try an answer the questions in detail another time, but I feel that the main inhibiting factor with getting somebody from the outside to come in and do Risk Assessments is just lack of familiarity - with the production, with the facility, with the staff.

When I have gone down ths route, the person involved has been a part of the process early on, taken part in some workshop visits, had a degree of presence through rehearsals and been onsite for a fit up and tech period. If a PM gets tied up with some issues onstage during a busy production period, it's all too easy for a wig department's needs (as a random example) to be forgotten as they try to cram themselves into an inapporaitely sized and poorly ventiliated workspace.

But surely the RAs would have needed to be done before this could take place?

But surely the RAs would have needed to be done before this could take place?

Of course, and that is the case...

This work is always carried out in conjunction with the PM (and other HODs/interested parties), and runs in conjunction with existing policies, RAs and method statements.

...it's also the ideal that they are monitored and adjusted (including consultation with some staff who may not even have been engaged when the initial RAs were carred out) throughout the initial period if approprate to the work.

Again, I'm not saying that it's essential, but I am categorically saying that there is no doubt that it can be a very effective strategy if managed correctly.

Hi Jodi,

Yes, definitely yes, and personally no - but if I were production managing like for example Rich, then yes.

Have a quick look at http://www.productionsafety.co.uk. Chris has being doing exactly what you describe for some years now and has a wealth of experience, frequently being employed by the larger touring musicals (at least those are why he pops up regularly in our neck of the woods).

For a few shows, especially when things get hectic coming up to opening, it can be easy for the H&S concerns to take a back seat to other more urgent issues (note urgent, not important!). Having someone around who is focussed only on those (while understanding everything going on) and making sure that they are considered along with all other requirements can be invaluable.

Pete

No worries, I get that a lot, and Chris' name is the one I'd generally expect to see on RA's for shows coming into our building, but that's not to say there aren't over people out there doing the same kind of work.

Archived