Feedback Suppressor

jack hale

....a 31 band EQ is a bad tool as it rips out a whole third of an octave in one go.

In many GEQs it is more like an octave that's taken out. The one third octave tag refers to the spacing of the centre frequencies.

In addition to the filter spacing, the filter width should be close to 1/3 octave at the -3dB point. It will be considerably wider at deeper cuts.

Mac

I'd take a decent parametric (DN410) over a graphic or feedback killer any day.

That's still only got a Q of 1/12, the PEQ built into a desk such as an M7CL can do a Q of 1/16 and even that is too wide.

A DBX AFS224 is really an automatic 24 band parametric EQ with a Q of up to 1/80. Having said that I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I want to be able to manually ring out a system and set the Q and the frequencies to be cut myself. I use a spectrum analyser in order to do so as is far faster and more accurate than guessing based on a 'well-calibrated ear' and iPads have made such things affordable and portable.

In my experience there are never more than two or three frequencies that can be notched out before you start getting broad spectrum feedback. This is usually enough to get you about 5db more gain before feedback.

We have had a rackmount Behringer feedback destroyer setup in church for a while. we recently changed some mics around and decided to redo the frequencies. At first we put it in single shot mode where it picks out the feedback and stores that so it sets itself up. 12 filters of auto setup peq later and the mics were sounding awful. So I set it up manually using a spectrum analyser and used about 6 or 7 filters on each insert instead and got a much better result. The whole system sounds better now and can achieve a higher level before feedback.

Just making the most out of the tools we have available.

the behringer one, yes you can use them as a Parametric, to James, you might have got better results using only 6 or 7 on automatic, I use one at times usually on PZMs/hanging mics , but its rare to use more than 5 or 6 out of the 12 filters, it usually ends up, like you say with awful, hollow sounding mics.

Archived