Best/favourite audio cable

DJ bradderz

Or you could just get some clear heat-shrink and print your name/ company name/ logo onto a piece of paper and heat-shrink the paper onto the cable. I made some specials a few months ago and used this method. Works a treat as long as you get your paper straight...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderation: I've deleted a number of posts that were diverting this topic from specific brands of microphone cable to a discussion of the merits of expensive "Audiophile" hifi cables. If anyone wants to discuss this sort of product, there's an existing thread: AUDIOPHOOL SILLY DEVICE OF THE DAY.

slight swerve of topic. what wire strippers are you using on mic cable / multicore ends?

After trying all sorts of fancy "automatic" strippers, I started using one of THIS STYLE about many years ago (after getting advice from a professional wireman) and have never looked back. (I couldn't find the exact model I have--it came from RS in the UK--but this looks pretty similar.)

slight swerve of topic. what wire strippers are you using on mic cable / multicore ends?

After trying all sorts of fancy "automatic" strippers, I started using one of THIS STYLE about many years ago (after getting advice from a professional wireman) and have never looked back. (I couldn't find the exact model I have--it came from RS in the UK--but this looks pretty similar.)

They used to be standard issue for BBC engineers - I still use mine.

I've a pair of the first type and find them great, but didn't get on so well with the automatic (ha ha) version. I had on loan when making up dozens of BNCs a magic powered gadget that you stuff the cable into and it rotated, stripping the cable back so the screen and inner where exactly the right length. Without it the job would have taken forever.

For coax cable, I have a small manual rotating stripper--basically just two blades, one set deeper than the other the do the core and the other shallow enough to just strip the outer. Mine came free with a BNC crimp tool I bought about 15 years ago and is still going strong (though I haven't done many BNCs for the past decade or so).

To the OP, I'd go for Van Damme Tour Grade XKE and Neutrik XX series connectors - the XX series is IMO is both better quality and cheaper (Farnell) than the X series. Mind you, I bought both on a trade account for a large research-based university, so the discount was significant :rolleyes:

Buying nice Van Damme/Sommer cable is pricy, but it pays for itself because you can be sure that when you pick up your cables they will Just Work , and are easy to manipulate. When I started working at my current venue the mic cable was a mix of nice-ish Klotz cable, cheap tour cable and leftover install cable from when it was built *shudder*. Getting it all to work properly was fairly traumatic, so I cut all the ends off the nasty cable and made them up with Van Damme and the improvement has been significant.

Slightly OT, I also use Van Damme cable and XX series ends to make up DMX cables - their single pair DMX cable is really, really easy to strip and work with, and very flexible.

Archived