Vocal Mic for a drummer?!

S&L

I have just checked back in and picked up all the replies and I really do appreciate those wiser heads - I'm mulling possibilities at the moment and looking for a sandbag!

I have been using AKG headworn mics since 1984 I am now on the AKG C520 and they are the best IMO for any drummer etc. Outstanding quality of sound. I play standing and I jump around alot and these mics are awesome. :notworthy:

As an occasional singing drummer, I always prefer a conventional vocal mic on a boom stand with the stand set almost as tall as it can go behind and to the left of my left shoulder and the boom coming down from the stand with the mic pointing to the left side of my face. This keeps the stand well away from my sticks and gives me the freedom to move off mic if I want to.

James.

While considering the singing drummer, it is seems a good time to mention the great Levon Helm who died yesterday, aged 71.

For those who might be a bit sketchy on their music history, I suggest some research into the Band and perhaps a look at 'The Last Waltz' (1976) film which was their farewell gig and chock full of good performances by some pretty stellar names of the time, as well as Levon's singing.

Helm seemed to me to be one of the first popular lead vocal / drummists of the rock age and his mic position is recognisable as often pointing down from above, while he appeared to torturously sing upwards into it. Obviously microphone choices are wider today, but it's interesting to note the techniques and models of the time. He also continued to sing and play until recently despite suffering from throat cancer, might be worth checking out more contemporary videos and images for consideration, but here is the 'ol stuff:

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/levon.jpg

The Weight, on YouTube (this is a good version, but does have a lot of the vocal taken by "guests"), one of his signature songs, along with Up on Cripple Creek.

Playing a few instruments myself (and not being much of a singer at the best of times) I am full of admiration for those than can drum and sing at the same time. I just can't do both.

As an occasional singing drummer, I always prefer a conventional vocal mic on a boom stand with the stand set almost as tall as it can go behind and to the left of my left shoulder and the boom coming down from the stand with the mic pointing to the left side of my face. This keeps the stand well away from my sticks and gives me the freedom to move off mic if I want to.

James.

+1. works for cellists too.

James.

+1. works for cellists too.

Never encountered a singing cellist :D

I once dated a singing cellist....

....and, yeah, jamesperrett's positioning trick is what we came up we for her too!

I could make a characteristically smutty comment but I realise that there are young and impressionable people here on the BR, that don't live their lives in constant Carry On mode....

• 3 weeks later...
I am a drummer & I regularly use a beta58 as my mic - works great, not too much spill, and it's hypercardiod pickup pattern is very friendly on a side monitor position. I rarely get anywhere near feedback, even with it quite loud in my wedge. Also, recordings taken from it in this position are totally useable, i.e. spill levels aren't too bad.

Archived