JBL JRX Series for Bands - Are they Terrible?

ItsMyNaturalColour

The only time I've ever heard JRX speakers was at a gig a band I work with was doing. I think the speakers in question were JRX125s. I ended up getting the band's SRM450s out of the van and using them instead. There was a massive difference.

I think I saw SRM450s for sale the other day for £379 each - and then you don't need to buy an amp... (and Thomann do cheaper powered speakers that are also good).

• 4 weeks later...

The JRX speakers are pretty bad.

You can get a pair of RCF312a's for $900.00 USD (not sure what that would be in £.

These speakers will run circles around the JRX's all day long ..... and they are powered to boot. If you can get the SRM450's cheep, these are also a much better speaker than the JRX's.

Buy once, cry once ;)

From reading this thread, the OP might be better off hiring a rig for the first couple of gigs before buying. The rental fee will be tiny compared to the money you could waste by buying the wrong kit.

It's also quite a worthwhile exercise to see how the hire company package and organise the kit, rather than trying to work that all out from scratch when you buy stuff. Things like marking cables for length, for instance, are really useful but aren't obvious to a novice. There's lots to learn and a couple of hires is a cheap way of doing it.

The JRX speakers are pretty bad.

You can get a pair of RCF312a's for $900.00 USD (not sure what that would be in £.

These speakers will run circles around the JRX's all day long ..... and they are powered to boot. If you can get the SRM450's cheep, these are also a much better speaker than the JRX's.

Buy once, cry once ;)

Or cry twice if you buy Crappy Chinese SRM450's, Mackie is not a respected brand these days, unless you purchase quality used units, that weren't made in China.

Yes the RCF's are better, but for every brand and price point there'll always be something better.

At price point, the JBL's do the job. Personally used them for years.

They're not bad, as you say.

Couple of years back did a mix for a thrash metal band, a house pa, pair of jrx125s a side, and a few Behringer subs.

It was loud and the fans were happy.

Just Bloody Loud lived up to their name.

Now the kids are past teenagers I am relieved of being "the dad that knows something about sound".

Archived