Electricaly raising lx bars

jobs555

it lifted a flightcase full of Meyer UPA1Cs off the ground with very little complaint (although I'm not sure I'd like to trust it to take a weight like that all the way to a 7m-high grid!).

The most we ever dared lift was a flightcased Soundcraft 8000 console. It was still well within the stated weight limits, but as you suggest, didn't inspire confidence.

It sounds to me like you need to be looking at one of those pile-wind hoists that are driven by an electric drill - last year we had three of them installed to suspend three lighting bars (250kg SWL) underneath a gallery in our studio space, and they're nice pieces of kit.

+1 for this suggestion. I've used some in a local venue and was very impressed. They are a delightfully simple solution, and burning out a drill is a lot less hassle than needing to replace the motor in a winch. The only complaint I had was that they didn't move terribly fast - very low gearing. Not too bad for raising and lowering LX bars for rigging, but you wouldn't want to be using them to fly scenery in and out during a blackout.

Archived