Please check out my new projector software project!

BenLoftis

Specifically, on a UK keyboard the @ and # aren't on the number keys and other national keyboards have different shifted numerics.

I guess it depends on whether you select based on character code or key scan code. If it's key scan code (position of the key in the scan matrix) it might not matter as all you really care about is shifted number key, not what's engraved on the key.

It's currently character codes, although in hindsight I should have based it on scan codes ( although this might make the documentation murkier )

I spent more time making sure that it runs on any OS ( mac/win/linux from XP-era onwards ) rather than internationalization, sorry.

Understandable.

Keyboards other than UK ones differ even more greatly from US keyboards, of course (often not qwerty, for a start).

It's a minefield - do you go by what's written on the key cap, which makes documenting easier, or by the physical position on the keyboard, which is better for operating in the dark by touch.

From reading this and watching the videos I have a couple of small issues with it

Firstly - projector "white" isn't a very nice white - it's very harsh. If I was using the software I'd prefer the white to be nicer on skin tones than most projectors are. This could be done so that you create a second warmer looking white, or if there's a settings menu there could be a "set white" setting which people can adjust before their show

The other issue I have is that while I quite like your effects, I would very rarely project something like that as front light - I'd look to use them on the wall or possibly the floor. This would probably be a but more difficult to implement as it depends on the room and projector position, however you could create a stars effect, which just adds some twinkling stars in the top quarter or third of the screen.

@jonic222:

Just like a "real" light, the white color changes based on the projector bulb and the background you are shooting onto. On the live shows I've used Fishbowl, I only had a low-end consumer projector, so it was important to keep the colors as bright and saturated as possible. Furthermore, the full spectrum of colors simply isn't available from a projector, you're working within the confines of the bulb color. So ... like everything it's a tradeoff.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that fishbowl can replace a "real" lighting setup. However I think it is very useful in an educational context (like an elementary classroom) where you don't have any stage lights, but you might have a projector.

It's also a nice complement to a simple, non-automated light setup. You can use floor or side-lighting to light the performers, and use Fishbowl to add some dramatic flair.

Thanks for your interest!

-Ben

Hang on a minute..... working in a school I hear such things..

I'm sure there was some guidance about not being dazzled by or looking in to a projector because it's bad for the eyes, UV I think?

If that's the case, I'm sure it would not be a good idea to use a projector instead of conventionals in a school classroom.

That said, I can't really see the difference myself, aren't projector lamps halogen anyway, just more focussed? :blink:

That said, I can't really see the difference myself, aren't projector lamps halogen anyway, just more focussed? :blink:

No, they are all discharge lamps, but there won't be much UV coming out by the time it's been through all the optics.

It's no worse than looking into an intelligent lighting fixture, but I guess the risk of eye injury is higher just because of the large number of projectors out there and the relatively untrained people who use them.

To be fair, the cost is very good for a little added extra effect in smaller venues. Video projectors are incredibly cheap these days and are available with sensible long life lamps that are cheap and readily available. It's actually quite a nice idea just for the effect of virtual animated and coloured gobos on a budget. (I'm a big fan of good complex randomised ripple effects.)

:blink:

Still have a Nokia somewhere with its CLASS 1 LED Warning on it, the IR link...

Projector has a diverging lens mounted on front, power density is relatively low a couple meters out.

Narrow beam LED can have quite a high power density even a couple of meters out.

Blink reflex and learning not to stare into bright lights be they the Sun, projectors, stage lites , LEDs , welding sparks, good habit to get them into young ;-)

Would have thought an easy way for people to experiment with lighting with equipment they may already have.

Archived