Do Stage Crew Get Enough Credit?

TechGuy96

In some parts of the world it is not uncommon for the cast to acknowledge the crew during the curtain call by gesturing to the box, much in the same way they often acknowledge the band in the pit. It's a nice touch in the right circumstances but on the whole I agree that technicians get sufficient credit.

See, I hate hate hate the cast gesturing to the box, don't know why but I do!

I agree and hate hate hate it too.

I also hate being listed in the thanks section of the program. That's the place for the person who lent you a clock for the set and not the place for the guy who spent days working for free to get an Am Dram up and running. If I am doing a whole bunch of jobs the title "technical assistant" is better than the thanks column.

One nice thing about doing lights for the dance show my daughter appears in, is that I know some of the parents who have been attending the same shows (and drop-offs and pick-ups)for 10 years. At first they would politely mention the lighting, but over the years they have become more interested and I now enjoy some detailed comments after the show.

Different level but same response. A couple of years ago someone suggested the Crew take a bow at the end of a school show. I asked the Crew and they looked horrified at the very idea. We list them on the programme in case their Mothers get offended but that's it. They get their satisfaction from knowing the show went smoothly and that no-one knew they were there. I feel the same. I am quite proud of the way the Student Technicians develop and take responsibility. They pay me to do something I quite like to do; I can't grumble.

For the volunteer amdram stuff a mention in the programme is OK by me, but the tech crew usually get thanked personally by the director at the end of the run - plus a tin of choccies to share in the box. If I'm being paid I don't mind if no one knows I'm even there. Where I used to work there was a piece of graffiti in the loos "working here is like p***ing yourself in a dark suit - you get a nice warm feeling but no one notices".

Quite by coincidence this year all our inhouse shows gave an acknowledgement to the techs in the control box...and on the rare (very) occasion someone has bought us a pint when we finally get into the bar...sometimes the luvvies even break off the chattering for a picosecond and say "hi".

(That said, when we asked if any of the youngsters (late teens), who are generally to be found onstage, if they wanted a "go" on tech (rm runners and trainee FS ops) we were quite surprised by the number who said "Can we really?!" Ooh, yes please!!!"

Even more surprised that the ladies outnumbered the lads (not trying to be sexist, ** laughs out loud **) and proved to be absolutely reliable on the FS say, never missing a cue or losing concentration for an instant. Most of them have twigged that if they want a theatre next year then they have to do their bit both onstage and off; plus as they remarked it is very useful for them to understand some of what goes on behind the scenes other than on the stage. We are lucky to have them.)

In some parts of the world it is not uncommon for the cast to acknowledge the crew during the curtain call by gesturing to the box, much in the same way they often acknowledge the band in the pit. It's a nice touch in the right circumstances but on the whole I agree that technicians get sufficient credit.

I think it's really important that technical staff are listed wherever 'credit for the production of the performance' is listed- be that the official programme, etc, but especially in amateur or school productions.

I did a very big (and quite a big deal) community project earlier this year and every last person was listed in the programme.

One of our backstage volunteers brought her mum along, and said 'I don't think she really believed me that I was doing this, I think she thought I was making it up'. That was an adult volunteer.

If you are a teenager at school and your parents are not interested at all in what you do, to be able to go home and say 'see they put me in the programme and everything' is important. It's just one way that young people can feel valued for their contribution, and sadly a lot of parents don't value what their children do, or think that extra-curricular things are important. It doesn't take much to say 'thanks' for a job done for free, or to give encouragement to young people learning how to put on a show.

In the professional world I think it's QUITE enough to have your name in the programme and for everyone to just respect each other.

One thing which no one seems to have mentioned is that there is a definite difference between technical people and creatives when it comes to crediting. As an electrician I couldn't care less whether I appear in the programme or are acknowledged publicly in any way. As a lighting designer though, I'd be slightly miffed if I wasn't credited for my creative input in the same style as the designer. It mostly seems to be a problem with amateur productions, with the last production I helped out dedicating an entire page to the director, while not managing to find even one line to mention my role in the production, despite it being entirely unpaid because I fancied being helpful, and despite the disproportionate amount of time which I've given to them. That was quite irksome.

That's true Mark. However re the technicans not caring about getting a mention... I did a show last year where conventionally the tech team would all get mentioned in the programme. This time they weren't and they were NOT happy about it.

I hope they are back in this year or there'll be words I think... :** laughs out loud **:

(and yes it was a pro production!)

Did a huge community play in the 80's and the professional production team were all credited though I deliberately refused a mention because it was my local town and I was one of the unpaid originators. After the premiere, Princess Margaret etc, the leader of the local amateur dance group whose members were taking part demanded that we flyer the programmes with her credit. I was furious but the producer went ahead despite my protests so I sulked.

Until the night after that when the programmes also contained a flyer for the two hippies that looked after the trees as "Arboricultural consultants". That got the dance teacher mad but not as livid as the next night when they credited the hippies golden Labrador, Toby. After this she gave up and they stopped adding litter to my problems.

Archived