newbie desparate and running out of time

saranam

thanks very much Brian so as I am only using one powered mixer to feed then I only need to concern myself with the XLR/jack feed which is full range the XLR then allows me to run both speakers from 1 channel, my only confusion is when you say the new boards have fewer components but it seems to have more 15 versus 11 (BTW I am replacing both xovers)

So...

Full range audio goes into the Peavey on the XLR/Jack pair which then feeds all three drivers, via the x-over, unless something is plugged into the lower jack in which case the feed from the x-over to the LF driver is interrupted and fed from the LF jack.

The Yellow (+) and Blue (-) wires from the connector PCB is the input to the x-over.

The White (+) and Black (-) wires are the LF output from the x-over to the connector PCB.

The Orange (+) and Red (-) wires are the feed to the LF driver from the connector PCB.

However, the replacement x-over is a very different beast to the original. It looks to be from a stereo HF and MF with single LF driver setup. Given how few components it has it also would imply much lower cut-off slopes. I suspect that the two speakers will end up sounding very different to each other.

So...

Full range audio goes into the Peavey on the XLR/Jack pair which then feeds all three drivers, via the x-over, unless something is plugged into the lower jack in which case the feed from the x-over to the LF driver is interrupted and fed from the LF jack.

The Yellow (+) and Blue (-) wires from the connector PCB is the input to the x-over.

The White (+) and Black (-) wires are the LF output from the x-over to the connector PCB.

The Orange (+) and Red (-) wires are the feed to the LF driver from the connector PCB.

However, the replacement x-over is a very different beast to the original. It looks to be from a stereo HF and MF with single LF driver setup. Given how few components it has it also would imply much lower cut-off slopes. I suspect that the two speakers will end up sounding very different to each other.

I think the LF connections are the other way around. If the jack sockets are the usual type, the input contact (which connects to the jack plug) is on the left of this picture and the switched contact is on the right. When a plug is inserted the LF driver comes from the plug which is the black and white wires. When there's no plug, the LF comes from the crossover. Also, the crossover isn't stereo, it is simply for a cab that contains two MF drivers and two horns but a single LF driver.

So, connections to the new crossover should be,

Yellow to PCB In +

Black to PCB In -

Red to PCB B +

Orange to PCB B -

Black to LFdriver +

White to LF driver -

Mid range driver to PCB M + and M -

Horn to PCB H + and H -

Please feel free to corrrect me if I've got it wrong about the jack socket :)

Dave

I think the LF connections are the other way around.

Please feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong about the jack socket :)

No, you are right and I am wrong. Serves me right for trying to rotate 3D objects in my head before the caffeine kicks in.

I think the LF connections are the other way around.

Please feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong about the jack socket :)

No, you are right and I am wrong. Serves me right for trying to rotate 3D objects in my head before the caffeine kicks in.

Never mind! It's about coffee time now anyway. In any case, it won't make any difference if the OP is only using a single amp but it might do something interesting to the crossover if someone tried to bi-amp it later...

Dave

Archived