Ebay delights.

bigclive

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Generator-Market-or-Caravan-Power-Splitter-32A-to-2-16A-240v-/271009549880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f196d8e38

lovely... although must admit most PA and LX companies have one! Guess its Ok if a competant user knows the loading on each socket.

And a lot worse.....

anyone who uses this one should be shot..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Generator-Market-or-Caravan-Power-Splitter-32A-240v-4-way-13A-/271038764421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1b2b5585

One of my fave ebay specials is this common lamp which should clearly have a plastic cover over it. But that must make the package too thick to post cheaply or something. Hence why you can readily buy these lamps for 240V use with all the solder joints where you grip the lamp to screw it in referenced to the mains through the simple capacitive dropper inside. Too bad if you screw it into a live holder while holding an earthed fixture or metal ladder....

Deadly ebay lamp.

Another electro-liscious ebay death-fest is the common 100 LED strings available for just a few quid inclusive of shipping from China. You get the flimsiest possible wire connecting LEDs with barely a strand or two of wire and thin heatshrink applied over pointy solder joints. You also get a super flimsy mains "chaser" that pops open easily exposing its tingly-bits and grossly under-rated series resistors that can barely handle the chasing effects, let alone being set to non-chasing, and often go black quickly, sometimes with smoke and make lovely finger-access holes in the heatshrink sleeving.

And the thing is... They've gone to the bother of soldering and sleeving all those LEDs. For the sake of minor improvements they could have had a very good product. :unsure:

Here ya go. Knock yourself out.... Less than three quid including shipping for your very own Xmas calamity. (Keep them away from the kids!)

Deathtrap fairy lights.

Just come across this, not completely related but it seems odd to me, 12V DC lamps with normal bayonet & ES fittings designed for the caravan and solar market so they can 'convert' normal table lamps to use on their 12v solar supplies.

http://onsolar.co.uk/images/3-watt-12V-ccfl.JPG

This worried me as well... that's not what it looks like is it?

http://onsolar.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/13a-round-pin-socket-solar.jpg

But he also mentions catering. That basically means that 13A should cover 2 urns, a fryer and an oven. Plus perhaps a griddle, fridge, freezer and till if another 6-way extension is plugged into one of the ways.

And anyone who's ever dealt with event catering knows that's true!

OnSolar: "Modern, dedicated Round Pin Sockets are used in all rooms for 12V outlets"

WTF ?

Let's start with 'modern'? The round pin socket defined by BS546 in the 1930s for 15A 240V supplies...

Secondly is there *any* provision within the regulations to use one of these as a 12V outlet ? Particularly since so many homes now have the 5A variant attached to mains lighting circuits.

And finally, as there are numerous low voltage connectors out there, why not use them ?

I think if I was to (for whatever reason) have 12V outlets at home I'd probably use 4 pin XLR

Secondly is there *any* provision within the regulations to use one of these as a 12V outlet ? Particularly since so many homes now have the 5A variant attached to mains lighting circuits.

I reckon 411.7.5 covers it.

And finally, as there are numerous low voltage connectors out there, why not use them ?

because they don't meet standards.

I think if I was to (for whatever reason) have 12V outlets at home I'd probably use 4 pin XLR

See above.

This worried me as well... that's not what it looks like is it?

http://onsolar.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/13a-round-pin-socket-solar.jpg

You mean the outer sheething not beng held by the grip in the plug? I think it is

Ok so who has gone and bought one of the MR16 to B22 adapters? As one has been sold Haha!

Me. And there's a good possibility that I'm going to put a standard 12V MR16 lamp in it to see what carnage ensues. :rolleyes:

Incidentally.... Is that a lit neon indicator on that 12V round pin socket?

Ok so who has gone and bought one of the MR16 to B22 adapters? As one has been sold Haha!

Me. And there's a good possibility that I'm going to put a standard 12V MR16 lamp in it to see what carnage ensues. :rolleyes:

You better post the results! :D

They do indeed appear to be selling 240V lamps with an MR16 base on ebay. I huess maybe it's the cheapest possible base to make? Strange.

Glad to see they're still selling power saver plugs on ebay too. Instantly reduce your electricity bill by up to 25% or more. Apparently. :rolleyes:

I've no doubt it'll also improve perceived audio depth and enhance your HiFi listening experience too.

Ebay power saver plug.

Archived