what is important to you when you select what digital desk you are gon

jameaton

James,

You have some really nice lecturers at your University. I suspect they would like you to use the word, "dissertation".

Also, if one of my students started their dissertation by asking questions on a net forum, I might have some significant concerns about their research methods. I cannot speak for you and your situation though...!

Simon

Thanks Alister and Simon, I was just getting my jodphurs on ready to get saddled up about that !

To any student reading this - you need to take pride in presenting yourself as literate with correct spelling and basic grammar otherwise you probably won't be considered for work by office based employers. You will not only be working with technicians - you need to be able to communicate with clients who make no allowances for bad grammar.

James,

You have some really nice lecturers at your University. I suspect they would like you to use the word, "dissertation".

Also, if one of my students started their dissertation by asking questions on a net forum, I might have some significant concerns about their research methods. I cannot speak for you and your situation though...!

Simon

Hi I was trying to get people's point of view in the industry. Which you did not give.Yeah dissertation was not correctly spelt correctly. I made a mistake, don't we all.

Actually I would suggest that Simon's earlier answer is the logic by which most sound desks are sold.

Is it the one the customer wants?

Is it the one that will do the job and hence reflect well on me as a supplier?

Is it the one that pays my wages?

It is (just about) a business that we all work in!

And if you want my answers (in priority order), as someone who both specs for install and engineers fairly regularly:

Will the desk be reliable?

Is it a desk that I can use quickly and responsively?

Does it have the required in/out?

Is it within budget?

Is the form factor viable for the show? - I do a lot of shows in small venues where a large format desk just is not possible at all in any way shape or form.

Is the sound good quality? - most desks out there now are more than usable, yes there is slightly better and slightly cleaner/warmer/colder/hotter/edgier/smoother/transparent/coloured etc, but there are few that are so bad the average punter would notice.

Hi this is for my disitation

You might like to check the spelling of dissertation before you start http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

thanks for the note

James,

Simon

Hi Simon

I am using this , to get some different points of views from the industry. Thanks for your point of view .

James

Thanks Alister and Simon, I was just getting my jodphurs on ready to get saddled up about that !

To any student reading this - you need to take pride in presenting yourself as literate with correct spelling and basic grammar otherwise you probably won't be considered for work by office based employers. You will not only be working with technicians - you need to be able to communicate with clients who make no allowances for bad grammar.

Hi Graham

I bet you make mistakes sometimes when you communicate with clients. Not everyone is perfect. Clients for venues like "thameside theatre" sorry thats Thameside Theatre , know that we all make mistakes .

James

Maybe he should get into amplifier design - one of the (relatively well known) designers I know can't even write a sentence that includes basic grammar.

I will look into that , thanks for the information

James

Hi I was trying to get people's point of view in the industry. Which you did not give.Yeah dissertation was not correctly spelt correctly. I made a mistake, don't we all.

Hi, James - I was the first to give a reply to your original question, and it was quite a carefully chosen response. Sorry if you didn't think it was a valid contribution. I would still maintain that apart from owner/operators, amateurs and hobbyists, most desk purchasers make their decision primarily on business grounds. We have to make a living out of this lark and what we want and how it sounds can end up being a relatively minor considerations.

With regards to spelling, it's a fact of life that the way you present yourself in writing paints a picture for the reader. I'm OK at spelling , but poor at typing. I just have to check what I have written very carefully before posting.

With regards to research, it's probably not appropriate for me to suggest that a dissertation should present a clear development of structured argument in response to your primary question, or that your methodology should be clearly defined and acceptable within your particular academic discipline...

Simon

On the desk topic - it also occurs to me that very often they are selected on business terms, and NOT with any form of operator in mind. So they're looking at longevity, reliability and perhaps resale value v depreciation. Then they have to look at size and weight. Truck space is pretty important. I picked a desk myself based on features alone, and it was 50mm too long to go across the van, really messing the pack up. So on your live event, do you get the desk you need, or the one that is spare?

What I mean is that sometimes the choice is an overspecified desk because it's sitting in the store. I gave somebody a big 32ch desk for a simple show, and they spent ages repatching to try to keep all the channels in use on one side, because they had lots of rack kit to control, and the faders on the other side of the desk were too far away.

I think your question is a bit warped because the reasons you suggest are obvious - but in practice the choice won't be that easy!

Hi, James - I was the first to give a reply to your original question, and it was quite a carefully chosen response. Sorry if you didn't think it was a valid contribution.

Simon

Hi simon I am very sorry this was a mistake I realise you did post and your comment was valid, thank you for your comments

james

Hi all. The main question I am looking at for my dissertation is "To study the evolution of different digital console layouts, and the pros and cons of each one, leading to a reflection on future trends."

Archived