Light o Rama UK version?

damobarrowafc

I am running a Christmas light switch on for a local school (as well as ill own the kit afterwards) and they are wanting to use Christmas lighting in there memorial garden that goes to music but they want two different systems running the main and the garden one of there colleagues (teacher) pointed out to be light o rama

Yes I had noticed the 'DPX 12/4' my main concern was that they are being discontinued and if wanted to make the display larger in the following years this may become a problem

cheers damo

Get in touch with NJD, AFAIK the silver/white version has been discontinued but there seems to be plenty of stock around the country. However the same unit is now being manufactured in a black powder coated version.

Get in touch with NJD, AFAIK the silver/white version has been discontinued but there seems to be plenty of stock around the country. However the same unit is now being manufactured in a black powder coated version.

It's the black ones I have and when I phoned up regarding a fault with one of them they did say it was some time since they made them. Although, that said, they are still on the website - http://www.njd.co.uk/product.aspx?prod=nj942

I have a faulty one that won't leave channel 1 I keep meaning to send back to them for repair :(

Firstly thanks for everyone's advice really helpful

Secondly I have contacted njd and there sales team have sent it to the tech department so waiting for a reply

The uk company of light o Rama currently haven't replied so still waiting on them

As for tailing out on the njd's what do people recommend? IEC, 13a, 16a (don't wanna use 15a)

Thanks everyone!Damobarrowafc

Firstly thanks for everyone's advice really helpful

Secondly I have contacted njd and there sales team have sent it to the tech department so waiting for a reply

The uk company of light o Rama currently haven't replied so still waiting on them

As for tailing out on the njd's what do people recommend? IEC, 13a, 16a (don't wanna use 15a)

Thanks everyone!Damobarrowafc

Tail outs depend on what you are going to use for. I would go for 16A for the application. While not water proof they are shower proof. Anything else you will have to be wrapping up in waterproofing measures

A slightly misleading response there - "normal" 16a ceeform connectors are IP44 rated (ie showerproof) - you can get IP66, 67, 68 & even 69 rated 16a ceeforms but they are unusual, not readily available and not likely to be supplied by anyone unless specifically spec'd. IP44 rated ceeforms are commonly used in the events industry as showerproof is usually sufficient IP rating in most outdoor situations.

To answer the OP's question - IEC & 13a tails are really out of the question since this is going to be for an "outdoor" supply, needs to be reasonably rugged and the extra fuses in a 13a plug add a level of complication to fault finding. Baring in mind this is going in to a school and for a prolonged period of time (days and weeks not hours) then most people would consider this an "installation" and hard-wire as much of this as possible so that there's less to go wrong and less for little hands to interfear with.

Thanks again

The equipment will be in the school for around 2 weeks (the area in which all power and cabling is at is away from students)

The equipment will be owned by me so I want it to last a while so 16a are probably the way to go,

Which rating will be the best (most connections will be under a outdoor shelter but may still get splashed)

Thanks in advance

Damo

what rating is "the best" - IP69 then.... however they'll cost you about as much per plug as you're paying for the entire dimmer pack.

We can't answer this question for you as it's a safety question we don't /know/ the true situation and circumstances you're using them in - this is where the whole "competent person" stuff comes in to play.

I've used ip44 rated ceeforms outside in the pouring rain before, I've also used ip67's indoors where there was absolutely no rain - in both cases I've used an appropriate plug for an appropriate setting - the former case was 20ft up in the air suspended on cantina's where it was completely impossible for anyone to touch it whilst live, the latter was for a party where I knew people would be getting drunk and spilling drinks. IP rating is one of the many things you need to consider when making this decision.

I think now would be the time to suggest you get an experienced electrician involved as there are clearly some gaps in your skill-set. Getting somone with experience/qualifications in will probably help you get everything done quicker and also help ensure you do everything in a practical, safe way that won't come back to haunt you.

I have had some Light O Rama equipment shipped over here to the UK for a Christmas display light show involving multiple trees with RGBW lights on them, jumping arches ect.

But I used these controllers (http://store.lightor.../cmdedcca2.html) which use ELV (6V-60V I believe), I used 24V supplies and used regular strings of 24V Christmas lights because they are readily available and cheaply for outdoor use and the cables and connections where cheaper that using mains ones. I guess it could be safer as well.

I found the Light-O-Rama software quite simple to use, but very time consuming if your looking for exact music choreographed shows. I programed each step to a tenth of a second, so if you have 96 channels to every tenth of a second and a 3 minuet long show it takes a while, but I think looks very effective if done well.

I have also used them with normal DMX controllers and had other DMX intelligent lights as part of the show which works well, if you have got some mains powered stuff that needs turning on and off on que (eg snow machine) I used a relay controlled by a channel.

Archived