Intelligent Followspots

Ollie

Have heard from a couple of people that there is an intelligent followspot out there. I don't know if this is fact or fiction but I will tell you what they told me and see if it rings any bells.

Have said that basically it works by following a sensor that is attatched to the person/thing being followed. You then do all the adjustments via computer such as and gobos, beam width, etc.

Was just wondering if this is actually true and these things exsist. If anyone has seen or heard about them could they let me know and any websites that might feature them would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Again only here say, but from wat im lead to believe it uses a standard moving fixture, or are u refering to the martin "tracker Pod" which u select the moving lights, outline the stage on the tracker pod, and away u go, track the target. im lead to believe this is best used with Mirrors then heads due to the move spead.

Matt

I seem to remeber seeing a rather cleaver following "thingy" which you point at your victim and it can be set so that all the movers in your rig follow where you're pointing, but I'm not sure who makes it (I thought it was Martin, but there's nout on their site). You can also set intensity/focus/colour/frost etc levels to change as the victim moves across the stage. Never used it, never will, but I'm sure someone must have had some experience with one.

Ah yes, so it is - for some reason I thought the Trackpod was a beltpack system like the Autopilot.

Looks a bit like a massively overbuilt camera tripod, doesn't it?

http://www.martin.com/product/Prod_img_gen/trackpod.jpg

Guest lightnix
Quick story...

A famous German band, named "Pur" were on tour in the late 90s, using Autopilot to cover the lead singer; he had the sensor fixed to his nice, tailor made jacket. One night there was a particularly appreciative audience and to reciprocate their appreciation he took it off and flung it into the crowd (the way rock stars sometimes do).

After the gig he asked, "Vy did ze lights go into ze audience during [number] and not vollow me for ze whole of ze rest of ze show?"

:huh: :( :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **:

Please pardon my crappy accent :)

And now, back to the on topic stuff... ;)

hmmm, I do remember a conversation in the pub along these lines - the different variants were tried by martin and most were found to be unreliable/ impractical,

from the looks of it; they have settled on using light ranging to give the third dimension and a person on the ranger to give the other 2.

[or maybe not - it was only a pub conversation]

I've seen similar systems used in videoconferencing, to enable the camera to "follow" the speaker. Some work better than others. The most useable one (in my opinion) was our simple, but home-made one....

Some use a remote "device" that the camera follows - a useful trick when doing a videoconf is to clip this to the radio mic...

Others use multiple mics and "triangulate", or even some sort of basic

pattern recognition. We tried one of these systems once, it would "lock on" to a face. But you could stick your hand behind that person's head, slowly move it towards you, and "steal" the video..... Oh how we laughed....

Bruce.

On a related note, the Liverpool Everyman's (Lovely little theatre, great atmosphere) panto used a pair of Moving Heads as followspot, but I think that was just immensely detailed blocking, programming, and timing.

Archived