Battery powered led bar/batten

Owen Radmore

Or, and I'm fairly certain I've said this before, you could just use one car battery and an inverter......

Bit like a broken record, really

That's not to say it isn't an excellent (albeit very conventional) idea, but I'm pretty sure we all heard it the first time.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Visage Lighting (a Batmink brand) have added a couple of rechargable LED PARs with wireless DMX TX/RX to their product range. The rep. indicated this was new territory and that battens will probably follow. The smaller unit seemed rather noisy, although that was looking at it on a meeting table in the office as opposed to in a large room full of people, the larger unit was much quieter and quite impressive. The battery life is quoted in hours "on auto" although I'm not entirely sure what this means and fear it doesn't mean 100% load 100% of the time.

When they say on Auto, it means running the Auto/Test Program built into the fixture.

So its very subjective, depending on how the Auto program, was programmed (Say how many colours use 2 sets of LED's or all 3)

For a true comparison, you need to run them at full 100%. which you will find is say 25-40% less than the Auto time specified.

That's not to say it isn't an excellent (albeit very conventional) idea, but I'm pretty sure we all heard it the first time.

And yet people still continued posting ideas about bodging lots of batteries together.....

Just to throw another idea into the mix, how about a UPS? They have the charger, battery, and inverter built into one small-ish package. Sorry if its too conventional for you all, but at least it will work.....

And yet people still continued posting ideas...

The more ideas, the better the chance that the "right" idea will be in the pack. The job spec was quite limited, so we know nothing of the application, there are many unknown variables.

Just to throw another idea into the mix, how about a UPS?

Now that is a smart suggestion.

And yet people still continued posting ideas about bodging lots of batteries together.....

Just to throw another idea into the mix, how about a UPS? They have the charger, battery, and inverter built into one small-ish package. Sorry if its too conventional for you all, but at least it will work.....

A UPS would work, but all common types make a displeasing beeping sound when on battery power, so as to warn the user of accidental unplugging etc.

This would likely be too obtrusive in an entertainment venue.

A UPS would work, but all common types make a displeasing beeping sound when on battery power, so as to warn the user of accidental unplugging etc.

To overcome this you could replace the UPS with a battery charger, a battery and an inverter. Oh, hang on...

The usual problem with battery powered kit is the lack of power actually contained in a battery, and it's cost.

Not too long ago a magazine led on the story that a 60 litre fuel tank in a car was likened to a battery weighing two tons for energy content.

Those who use PP3 and AA batteries will attest to the cost vs that small power taken from the mains.

Who was the Plasa exhibitor in the south passage from EC1 the EC2 who were displaying battery powered wireless DMX'd uplighters including a range of cases designed to recharge the batteries. Battery uplighters are common on the disco market just that for the light output needed the price will be wrong, and the duration could well be limiting.

The GDS Units are awesome, really work well and fantastic for Marquees, live events etc, where a fast set-up time is required. Stage Electrics have them in Hire, I used some recently and was amazed at how easy they are to use - brilliant. They do weigh a lot though (The Batteries) and a Flightcase of 6 with built in charger is a two man lift!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay thanks for all the ideas..

They need to be battery powered because there is no mains in a convenient location.

Had thought of car battery + invertor option indeed have one which was planned for powering laptop when filming out in field on top of laptop power supply.

Had been looking at "power stations" combined invertors/battery/chargers but don't seem to give enough output for very long without weighing a ton

Have looked at the go-bar,chauvet but dont seem very powerful.

Archived