Lighting for rock band in very small venue

GaryMcQueen

I really cannot understand people saying that magicq is difficult.

If you're used to a small box with knobs on, then it's a big change in concept, that's what makes it difficult. I think some people just prefer a small stand alone box with knobs on and wouldn't want to take their nice laptop round a load of beery pub tables. Other people use their laptop everywhere for everything and are quite happy to do that.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bear in mind that you don't need an even remotely powerful computer to run MagicQ on. A battered old laptop that's several years old will do a fine job if you put a fresh minimal windows / Linux install on there. And to be honest, using a computer that's dedicated to the job and set up properly for it (no screensavers, power saving, antivirus scans, automatic updates, etc) will be far more reliable than using a general purpose laptop.

.... but then you will find ANY software system difficult.

Yes of course. I know plenty of people who find it easy to program disco-type lighting controllers, despite the fact they are not very intutive to use, but feel intimidated by a computer. The OP sounds like he is computer savvy so should do fine with MagicQ.

"I really cannot understand people saying that magicq is difficult"

Paul,I have to second the other reply.

If you are used to a desk with programming that is not stack orintated then MagicQ is a learning curve . therefore if you are setting up new kit along with learning how to programme something you have never used before it could be hard.

ps Paul. I am about to strip my harmonies down. Do you still want lenses if they are okay?

Thanks for all the replies! I've got a netbook with Crunchbang (a minimal Linux distro) on it, so I can press that into service as a dedicated lighting-controlling PC. I'm afraid I don't know anything about lighting control surfaces; I'd imagine they are similar to ones used for audio? Faders and buttons and such that you connect to a computer? If so then maybe a footswitch connected to the netbook would be the way to go - I can operate the footswitch while playing the bass and still have the flexibility of using a computer. Would a generic USB footswitch work (I think they output key presses) or is there a proper one I'd need?

"I really cannot understand people saying that magicq is difficult"

Paul,I have to second the other reply.

If you are used to a desk with programming that is not stack orintated then MagicQ is a learning curve . therefore if you are setting up new kit along with learning how to programme something you have never used before it could be hard.

My experience with MagicQ (my lx background is on manual lighting desks from the days of steam radio):

Day 1: had a quick look at the first few pages of the manual, took a while to get to grips with navigating the various screens and menus. Tried adding an LED fixture, couldn't get it to do anything. Gave up after a couple of hours of frustration.

Day 2: Searched for help online, quick start guides on using MagicQ with LED fixtures as the manual assumes you are using dimmers and standard fixtures for the first few chapters.

Day 3: Managed to get one colour of some LED fixtures working, but ran into a problem with the second colour as two different fixtures were behaving differently. Posted a message for help on BR

Day 4: redefined the fixtures as multiples of standard dimmers, remembering to reset the colours I didn't want to zero...

A very worthwhile learning curve to get to know the software etc. but to run a couple of LED fixtures for a band in a pub I really don't think it's worth the effort!

Thanks for all the replies! I've got a netbook with Crunchbang (a minimal Linux distro) on it, so I can press that into service as a dedicated lighting-controlling PC. I'm afraid I don't know anything about lighting control surfaces; I'd imagine they are similar to ones used for audio? Faders and buttons and such that you connect to a computer? If so then maybe a footswitch connected to the netbook would be the way to go - I can operate the footswitch while playing the bass and still have the flexibility of using a computer. Would a generic USB footswitch work (I think they output key presses) or is there a proper one I'd need?

With Enttec DMXIS you just use two standard non-latching footswitches, not USB footswitches.

An el cheapo foot controller from Terralec or Thomman will do the job perfectly well, and will probably be easier for the OP to use whilst on a gig.

This recommending PC control systems till your blue in the face is ridiculous. THEY ARE NOT A SOLUTION TO EVERY LIGHTING CONTROL PROBLEM THAT ARRISES ON BLUE ROOM! Sometimes yes... But not always. I'm sorry for the rant... But I'm sick of reading through the same old, broken record posts.

Thanks.

An el cheapo foot controller from Terralec or Thomman will do the job perfectly well, and will probably be easier for the OP to use whilst on a gig.

This recommending PC control systems till your blue in the face is ridiculous. THEY ARE NOT A SOLUTION TO EVERY LIGHTING CONTROL PROBLEM THAT ARRISES ON BLUE ROOM! Sometimes yes... But not always. I'm sorry for the rant... But I'm sick of reading through the same old, broken record posts.

Thanks.

+1

I'd recommend spending all your budget on the lights themselves. Most of these kind of fixtures will have several stand-alone modes, can be be linked as master-slave etc.

When you've used them a few times, worked out the best placement, seen some of the things they can do and decided what is missing control-wise, then look at controllers.

You know Joe? - I seem to remember somebody recommending a certain brand of lighting control to anyone who would listen a while back?

The OP wanted opinions on a cheap and simple source of LED lighting. ANY controller that can be up and running for a few pounds might be of interest to somebody new to it.

I personally like to have real faders to push, but find the really basic controls either to difficult to adapt to different fixtures than they were intended for or too complicated or limited.

I've been happy with MagicQ, as many others have. I am not saying its best, or the absolute only thing to use - but for a band wanting something simple but effective, I can recommend it. What's your issue? Won't it do the job? Is it too expensive? Is it wiped out by another product? If so - do share your own experiences of why it's so wrong. The Terralec and Thomann controls are fine - I've actually got a Thomann one sitting on a shelf at home, but it doesn't seem to be able to cope with doing lots of things on my LED kit - do you know how to make it talk to a dozen varytec LED bars and some LED cans in a nice simple way than can do colours and a few chases, because I've had little luck - and a £10 dongle can?

This recommending PC control systems till your blue in the face is ridiculous. THEY ARE NOT A SOLUTION TO EVERY LIGHTING CONTROL PROBLEM THAT ARRISES ON BLUE ROOM! Sometimes yes... But not always.

What would you suggest?

I've already said that I was once very anti myself. Now I've had a chance to use them properly I have a different opinion. An opinion based on using a few, and finding one that I really like, and have been very happy with.

So - tell us about the ones YOU would recommend and stop doing a John Barrowman. Your past history rammed one product down our throats at every opportunity, now you have changed alliances, I note you don't mention them any longer - does that make every recommendation you ever made for those a poor one?

I'm just not in the mood to have you attempt to put me in my place today. Usually I'd not have bitten, but nobody said they were the solution to everything - but in this case, could well be. I'm content to suggest the OP downloads the software and then if he likes it, gets the cheap dongle and has a play. At worst, he loses a tenner. Buying a cheap hardware control would be far more expensive?

Paul

I guess a USB one work fine wouldn't it? If you can use a 3rd party bit of software to map the switches on the board (I'm sure you could get someone to make one if there isn't already one floating around), surely couldn't you map one switch to be the space bar, so it acts as a 'Go' button for whichever stack you have selected? That would be far the easiest way I can think of.

Also, I'm gonna stick my head and +1 for MagicQ. I found it fairly easy to learn how to use (as long as you're not expecting to do too much at first), and managed to work out myself how to patch it and program some memories/chases/stacks. At the end of the day, there's no movers so I'd use MQ, patch in x amount of dimmers for the LED's, and then go from there. I'd program a stack for the entire show (even if it's just one cue per song etc), and then use the USB foot controller to go through the cues (that's assuming you have a definite set list)...

Archived