Lighting for rock band in very small venue

GaryMcQueen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am amazed there are powerful led systems that can run from batteries. What sort of run time do you get?

You can get upto 8hrs with Chauvet Freedom units but I would say 4hrs to be safe.

They cost a bit but you get freedom to not need to plug them in as they have battery packs

I hadn't seen them, though I have seen the American DJ Mega Go Bar, which is also battery powered. Interesting idea but if the LED bar wasn't close to me I'd worry about someone in the audience damaging it (or even walking off with it) - I've had previous gigs where people have walked into mic stands, walked into a full-size stage keyboard, etc. Even had a wedding gig where a guy thought he'd have a go on my bass while I was taking a break. And if the LED bars are right next to the band there's not much advantage in running them off batteries as we already have (at a minimum) three amps, two lots of effects pedals and a powered mixer to plug in.

Some gigs I do you have 3 or 4 bands with a short change over and lights get in way with other bands so it would take you a few mins to set them up and you can be away with them in same time.

Some gigs I do you have 3 or 4 bands with a short change over and lights get in way with other bands so it would take you a few mins to set them up and you can be away with them in same time.

Good point, the portable lights would be useful for that. The band I'm in now doesn't play on multi-band bills but maybe a future band I was in might.

• 2 weeks later...

I manufacture the BlueLite X1 system (I'm biased). The BlueLite software controls up to four of our X1 (4 universe - $999) or X1-Mini (1 uninverse - $399) controllers giving you access to up to 16 universes of DMX control (should you ever need that much). It offers a DMX Input so you have the ability to use any low cost console (or high cost console if you have one) as an external control surface. The 'Live Panel' console also offers MID Input control, so you can trigger chases/sequences using MIDI instruments or controllers (I'm currently looking for feedback on the best way to integrate an Akai APC40 MIDI controller as a control surface). While the cost is slightly higher than some of the other control systems out there, the capabilities rival systems many times the cost.

There is also a pre-visualization software package (there's a free Student Version), Capture Polar, that allows you to control your 'virtual' fixtures in real time using our BlueLite software (also available to download for free). That would let you see and control a virtual stage using the BlueLite software and your MIDI controller to see how they function together. Contact me if I can answer any questions.

• 5 months later...

Any recommendations for LED bars? I don't have a lot to spend but I don't want something that's too bad either. I read a discussion on here about the Stairville bars and a few people mentioned that they sometimes flickered when you dimmed them, though the Eurolite LED bar was mentioned as a good alternative and I notice Thomann have the Eurolite LED Bar 2 RGBA 252/10 40° for £112.

Yes these are very bright, good value for money , 4 way split and have many features, work well sound to light and slow fades , but flight case them as the dont like being droped, if you do your doomed!!!

Archived