Back Stage at the Opera House

Tom

I'm amazed no one else has posted this yet (or have I missed it?)

http://thespace.org/items/e0001h6q

In a world first for opera, we give you an unprecedented insight into what happens behind the scenes of a performance at the Royal Opera House.

In this pre-recorded performance of Act III of Wagner’s The Valkyrie, with Bryn Terfel in the role of Wotan, 21 cameras were used to capture all the action from the stalls to the orchestra pit to backstage.

You can choose to watch the performance from three very different perspectives – either the exciting cues and calls of the stage manager; or follow The Royal Opera’s music director Sir Antonio Pappano’s conducting; or sit back and enjoy the performance from the stalls.

I did mention tonight to my DSM that when he gives LX cues, he should end each standby with "please", and LX will respond with "standing by, thank you". I also suggested that he should do his hair, and consider a shave - as the Opera House's DSM had obviously had her hair done and sorted her makeup.

And just how did your DSM respond to you questioning his style...? And maybe DSM Sarah is always impeccably presented, why assume she's got dolled up for the telly?

Polite to a fault. Feedback on the radio comms? We'll just change everyone over to another channel. Calm tone. Without missing a beat. Politely.

I really did enjoy watching the professionals at work. A lot of professionals at work.

One thing surprised me was when they found that the hand flame effect had stopped working they tried to repair it.

I would have thought that given the amount of money they obviously have to spend that they would have had at least one flame effect setup on standby if needed.

Cheers

Gerry

I did mention tonight to my DSM that when he gives LX cues, he should end each standby with "please", and LX will respond with "standing by, thank you".

If I did that to the last DSM I worked with he'd probably have hit me with something... That said I find some do, some don't.

I did like how the DSM stacked multiple cues (and, more importantly, how in the professional world people actually realise when they all GO - in smaller scale / amateur stuff I find if lots of standbys are given followed by one go, someone often forgets that they were on standby)

One thing I did find a little odd was that certain LX effects (e.g. strobe, the propeller etc) were always cued seperately 'e.g. LX 202 and stop strobes, go" - I'd have expected the stopping of the strobes to be part of the LX 202 although I guess by having them out of sequence they can start/stop them if necessary. although I must admit "stop strobes go" did sound a bit wrong

I also suggested that he should do his hair, and consider a shave - as the Opera House's DSM had obviously had her hair done and sorted her makeup.

Can't imagine that went down well..

As dbuckley said maybe she always looks like that - to be honest most of the backstage team were very well presented. I guess it continues the image of professionalism if any of them are seen by anyone front of house as well for any reason.

I also loved the tallescope working practice... ;)

Archived