Equipment getting wet in trailer/garage

joshbailz

Hi

I'm having issues with some of my equipment getting very wet due to condensation, mainly amp racks and desks. They have been stored in an Ifor Williams esque trailer so aluminium floor plastic/fibre glass roof and sides. The equipment can feel absolutely soaking when it has been very cold and as you can imagine things are breaking.

Does anybody have a solution to my problem I was thinking of insulating the trailer but I don't no which type would be best.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Can't think what they're called at the moment (been a long day!), but another possibility could be those crystal things that absorb water vapour from the air (uses NaCl to substitute water from the air). You can get them in practically any caravan shop, and I know they work brilliantly for getting rid of moisture in the air as my parents have used them in our caravan durimg the winter for years.

Hope this helps!

A simple way for the short term is to just chuck some black tat over all the cases. It seems to absorb all the moisture, and stop it settling on the cases. Although I wouldn't rely on it for a long period - we've just done it over night.

Although salt is hygroscopic, it's better to use silica gel. You can dry it out in an oven. However, I doubt if it's the long term solution in your trailer...

Insulation may be a way forward*, but you will lose space, and it's hard to do things like roller shutter doors, Is the gear properly flightcased? That can stop condensation penetrating too far. Otherwise, you may need to find better storage!

* consider a plywood floor, glassfibre or mineral wool layer on walls & roof with a thin ply layer on inisde.

Thanks that all helps, it's all in flightcases but that seems to attract moisture. I will try the cloth idea for short term and see if I can get done silca to put in the cases and when I eventually get the time insulate it with the mineral wool. But like you say roller shutter seems to be my main problem.

I don't think there is any sort of insulation you can do on a farm trailer that will be a long term solution. Even with insulation burger vans get condensation when temperatures fluctuate and the only answer is some form of heating/ventilation/dehumidifier.

Best to look for better storage and check out this topic; My link Or search for "condensation" of which BR has had a fair few queries over the years.

Have a look around clasic car forums, there are several products along the silica gel line for people who store old cars over winter. Also look at air flow, thinking out loud, small solar panel and some PC fans......

I really don't think Silica Gel will cut it.

I'm currently running a de-humidifier in my store which is approximately 70 cubic metres in volume. It's extracting around 3 litres of water a day (or rather it was before temperatures plummeted). Scale that down to the OP's storage volume and that's still a lot of water.

Are there any vents in the trailer? If you can get someair flow through the trailer it should reduce the condensation, adding a PC fanand car battery would be even better.

I can't see silica gel helping for the whole trailer as it's won't be completelysealed and will draw in moisture but putting some in each flightcase might help.

A simple thin, unpainted ply lining to the trailer will help to some extent. You could possibly glue it on or use self-tappers so no space would be lost. If it helped protect the gear it would be a small price if it rotted and had to be replaced every couple of years.

Take the kit out of the trailer and store it indoors. Part of the business model of buying and owning kit is looking after it properly. Any other option will lead to the kit deteriorating and failing just when you need it to work.

Don't waste your time thinking you can fudge the problem.

I couldn't agree more with the poster above me. I'm sure you worked hard to buy your kit and it is a shame for it to rot in a trailer as it surely will. All the measures other posters have suggested may help to some degree but nothing beats getting it indoors however awkward this may be. I am speaking from experience as I have had my equipment stored in less than ideal premisies in the past (stable for example) and I noticed it was starting to take its toll with condensation. Bolts started to rust on speaker cabinets and at this point I decided enough was enough.

Archived