Zero88 Sirius 24/48

Gottark

I saw the desks on eBay

They would have been fine for the lamps you have

The sirius is a level memory desk , you would have to store the moves as a chase

Its cheap , its cheerful , and it would work

Um, I really don't think so... unless you are a retro programmer who enjoys doing things the hard way. They weren't the most reliable desks either.

Much better to spend £80 on the Avo Titan dongle which is even cheaper and a lot more cheerful.

Thanks again for all your replies.

I'm very much leaning toward to Titan One, going to download the software and get to grips with it using the very handy quick start guide.

For this sort of purpose I would strongly recommend a TitanOne. While I am not sure its capable for control from a keyboard, on a budget, is a fantastic controller, especially if you are already familiar with the Expert.

I did a short review of the TitanOne after we got it TitanOne Review

I would advise giving avo a ring if you want more information but it is well worth a look into!

SJ

SJ, how did you find using the software without a touchscreen? I read in your review that it wasn't much of an issue, does it just make things more difficult? Would a touchscreen be an essential buy?

I would pick up a second hand Frog style desk if you are familiar with the Zero 88 range. Forget sirius for any inteligent lighting control!

The snag is the smallest one with Moving Light control is the Fat Frog and they are still selling for £600+ on E-Bay. We replaced our Sirius with one a year ago to increase the dimmer channels and manage LEDs. Works brilliantly! Only dislike is the floppy drive, but you can't have everything.

Hi Jon - our floppy is working fine at the moment... However, if you had info about a swap out of a USB drive that looks like a floppy to the Fat Frog, that would be more interesting :) I know several people talked about this in the past, but I can't remember anyone ever saying they were successful?

I fail to see how the boot up time would be effected by a new floppy drive as mentioned in the thread on the Z88 forum, my Bull and Fat frogs load from an internal memory and only use the floppy for updating firmware, uploading fixture files and saving shows.

I have stuck with floppy drives for now, the upshot of it is if you buy one of the floppy to USB emulators then you need to have the same device in a PC to upload to the USB stick, it uses a different format to normal USB sticks. From what I gathered at the time you just end up with a load of floppy disk sized partitions on a USB stick and you then have to select which partition you want to upload to using the up down buttons on the floppy emulator.

I think I'll stick with floppy disks for now!! I have a couple of spare FDDs and a USB-FDD for my laptop.

Works brilliantly! Only dislike is the floppy drive, but you can't have everything.

This might be helpful:

http://zero88.com/forum/topic/6482-fat-frog-fdd-replacement/page__view__findpost__p__25555

Very useful. I gather zero 88 had a slightly rogue set of drives at the manufacturing stage. It meant that something sourced from another formatted disk might not work in the desk. Having said that the disk is far more use than the old sirius memory card. By the way anyone want a couple of spares or repair 48 way siriuses!

Archived