A multi-school show, with both ends of H&S

paulears

huddle... worried ...

accident book. ... dancer ... dislocated her knee ... yesterday ... danced today... injury prone dancer ... nobody seems worried about?

Rarely do I use this phrase, but this all made me LOL...

Quickly followed by another LOL when I discovered that the naughty word Filter translates LOL to ** laughs out loud **... A little better than ### I guess :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... we are talking about general requests made via agents/riders to non-specifically-trained crew about unknown/un-surveyed venues for an incredibly wide range of aerial disciplines (from silks to trapeze is the equivalent of a Smart Car to a Ferrari) so the general "rule of thumb" figures have to be the worst case figures.

Indeed. I already said I understand the rationale behind it. It's a pretty poor channel of communication, but frustratingly sometimes does seem to be all there is.

I will not go on record as specifically advising that it's ok to provide anything other than the industry "recommended" rated points in a public forum

Wasn't asking you to.

I assume you're generally working in arena type venues - in that case any show that has aerialists in it that are working a show of that scale will almost certainly have a dedicated circus consultant who sits between the performer and you so that the real, important information is provided and the generic stuff edited out.... and to eat all the M&M's

As a general rule, yes of course. But not everything that happens in an arena type venue is a big arena type touring production.

Parent turned up...

All sounds rather brilliant. Lucky girl to have such a supportive and capable parent. :)

accident book. ... dancer ... dislocated her knee ... yesterday ... danced today... injury prone dancer ... nobody seems worried about?

Rarely do I use this phrase, but this all made me ** laughs out loud **...

About 90% of our accident book is dancers doing daft things - like falling UP the stairs backstage, tripping over untied laces, connecting with another dancer's high kick, slipping whilst rehearsing because they're dancing in socks because they couldn't be arsed to get properly changed...

I'm sure many of you will have similar experiences...

:(

About 90% of our accident book is dancers doing daft things - like falling UP the stairs backstage,

Hey! I've done that - and on one memorable occasion, twice within the space of two minutes - we got FOH clearance very early, I was still out the back chatting with the crew and had to leg it back to the control room, managed to fall up the backstage stairs then FOH stairs...but I've never fallen down the stairs!

About 90% of our accident book is dancers doing daft things - like falling UP the stairs backstage,

Hey! I've done that - and on one memorable occasion, twice within the space of two minutes - we got FOH clearance very early, I was still out the back chatting with the crew and had to leg it back to the control room, managed to fall up the backstage stairs then FOH stairs...but I've never fallen down the stairs!

I am the same. Falling up stairs seems to be my party trick! Doing what should be the impossible.

I've fallen down not-stairs before... Carrying a large bin, so I couldn't see where I was going; thought there was one more step, which there wasn't. Luckily the bin was very flexible and the corridor very wide so I actually had a very soft landing. Took a while to collect the paper I'd distributed across the corridor though!

In most of the venues I work in day to day a 2t point is not going to raise any eyebrows. It is likely to involve a fairly big bridle in 1/2" steel though, and the weight of a 60kg aerialist will likely not be enough to pull the steel tight against the 'sag' of its own weight. The result is perfectly counterproductive - a point that moves around under load, precisely because it's a 2t, rather than say a 500kg point. (Though actually, in those venues the best approach would generally be to sub-hang the performers point on an appropriately guyed truss anyway.)

Out of interest, what do you mean by appropriately guyed truss? If a single point hung off a chain motor would move, a truss hung on motors would move also, I would have thought? Would you have to use more motors than otherwise required (or use the motors to get it into the air, then dead hang it on steels to minimise movement?

:)

David

Out of interest, what do you mean by appropriately guyed truss?

As ImagineerTom says - with guy ropes (textile or steel) tensioned to prevent it from swinging about.

They can go down to anchors on the floor or up to points in the roof.

The former can sometimes provide better stability but may also interfere with sight lines and significantly increase the load on the rigging points.

The latter may involve going out to a fairly distant point to get a suitably shallow angle (especially if the roof is high), installing the guy ropes can involve a bit of knitting around other trusses and rigging, runs the risk of lifting the truss off its rigging if overtensioned (esp if the truss is not heavy) but doesn't impair sight lines or take up valuable FoH real estate.

No issues whatsoever - and the only thing changed was the drop - extended a little to add more length on the stage. The thing we did find a bit odd was the stretch in the fabric. On a 10m drop, the stretch with simple heave was around 300mm before it became solid. Worth doing - looked really food despite our limited prosc height (4.5m).

Archived