Live Channel-by-Channel sound canceling?

kwelch007

Interestingly enough, not-putting-everything-through-one-PA gets rediscovered every few years; Martin Levan in the 1980s, and Dave Rat in 2005.

Dave Rat was clearly copying me since I was doing it in the mid 1990s! Funny how I didn't notice Dave hanging around rural Bedfordshire though!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LS&I's digital archive seems to be broken at the moment or else I'd go and find the article describing, IIRC, Cliff Richards sound system from the 80s. His sound engineer ran two different systems; one designed for the vocals only, the other for the band. Like that he could tailor drive unit size and crossover frequencies to improve the sound.

• 4 weeks later...

The OM7 is better than most, but it still picks up a lot of noise - especially cymbals. Either enclose the drummer, or fire him and get one who is a player instead of a pounder.

You might try one of the Crown 'Differoid' handheld or headset (CM311 - Madonna/Garth Brooks) mics.

The OM7 is better than most, but it still picks up a lot of noise - especially cymbals. Either enclose the drummer, or fire him and get one who is a player instead of a pounder.

You might try one of the Crown 'Differoid' handheld or headset (CM311 - Madonna/Garth Brooks) mics.

In my experience, if the OM7 (properly used of course) doesn't do it for you then firing the drummer (or drummercide) are the only other options.

Archived