Safety for flown video screens

blueboxoffroad

In a properly fitted VESA mount system, I can't see why you need an independent secondary attachment point. You already have 4 primary attachment bolts. Similarly, unicol brackets contain secondary fittings as mentioned earlier.

In my mind, provided a plasma has a VESA mount, then its a safe to suspend it from that mount as any other plasma with a VESA mount... Plasmas designed for 'professional' use are typically more rugged, but I doubt they have any better vesa mounts from a safety perspective...

Look around the retail environment and every shopping centre etc with viewable CCTV and advertising screens often above customers heads, all using VESA mounts on various brackets, many of the screens are domestic and even some of the brackets. Not a safety in sight. VESA is 4 bolts and most brackets also have multiple attachment points, write the risk assessment accordingly i.e. multiple metal fatigue / fracture failures required and that should lead to the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

The main reason that safety wires are used for lights is that a light has a single bolt that holds it to the bracket. Therefor a single failure of this bolt would result in the light falling. A safety wire reduces this risk as you now need 2 failures to make the light fall.

On a TV there are 4 bolts so for te TV to fall you would need 4 points of failure which in theory makes a TV twice as safe as a light. Obiously this only ocver how the TV is connected to teh bracket and not how the bracket is connected to the truss etc. So long as the bracket to truss fitting is by at least 2 independent fixings I see no reason for extra safety.

Archived