Controller for simple RGB wallwasher installation

connollycleary

Looking for motion sensors that will trigger variable-delay relays? Ready-built circuit boards that run off 12v and with screw-terminal blocks so you don't even need to do any soldering?

Have a look at Mr Heathcote's 'model railway automation' website.

http://www.heathcote...ctronics.co.uk/

I started using these boards ten years ago to construct a model railway that 'runs itself'. As the trains go over the motion sensors they operate points, signals and isolated section of track such that, for example, a goods train will be halted ahead of a junction by the express passing over a sensor. When the express is clear of the junction it passes over a further sensor which changes the points and signals and the goods train moves off. On another part of the layout a motorised 'coal conveyor' turns on and off at variable intervals.

Instead of detecting trains you could adapt one of Heathcote's IRDOT units to detect people (on my layout they can be operated by passing a hand over them).

Ray

Little controllers like Arduinos are very cool, but are not "easy" in mechanical or programming terms if its not something you are used to working with.

Since we've now simplified to having just on-off control of circuits of LEDs, rather than build a solution, one could adopt an off-the-shelf solution, a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC), a good choice of which might be a Siemens Logo! controller.

Ok, its not as cheap as solution as an Arduino, but its easy to configure using the on-board LCD screen, and will do the job forever, and is easy for someone used to dealing with electric stuff to integrate with. You can even download (from this page, its a bigun) a software tool for free, allowing one to build the logic, and it also is a simulator, so you can build a mock-up of what you want to do, and test it on a PC. When happy, just manually enter the config on the LCD of the Logo! Or buy a licence (£50) for the tool and get the download cable (as much again), but for a one-off, its probably not worth it.

Milford Instruments have what you need. Go to there site http://http://www.milinst.co.uk/ and look under DMX - controllers and you have 2 different boards that will do what you want.

I have used both boards with PIRs and had no problem with them. This one will suite you the bast DMX Sequencer Part no. 1-578 and the other board is 512 Channel Serial to DMX transmitter it can be used stand alone as well with push buttons or PIRs which I have.

Connollycleary what part of Ireland are you from or doing this in. If you are any way close to me, I would be willing to go and try and help you out at no cost. PM me if you would like my phone number I be glad to try and help even if it over the phone.

Archived