MacBook Pro spec

DJ bradderz

Just a quick note on migration from platter to SSD.

You don't need third party tools. Just use time machine, it works like a charm. Ensure latest backup, swap drive, install OS and restore from TM...done.

Also it is my understanding that you can couple the internal SSD with a thunderbolt external platter and make a Fusion with a clever bit of terminal noodling.

I'm not defending companies which put ridiculous mark-ups on factory fitted options but it is quite expensive to have a production line with variances. Even a handful of different options in several categories can multiply out into every machine on a line being different. Some car manufacturers have cottoned on to this and are now producing slightly higher spec'd basic models to actually discourage options at that end of the market. I know it sounds crazy, but it keeps their mark-up healthy, attracts customers and keeps the prices competitive.

I believe RAM and SSD upgrades do not void warranty IF Apple class them as user replaceable parts. I expect the Air is the most problematic in this respect. With regards to the Pros, I think that Apple even have reasonable instructions available for all the user replaceable parts. If in doubt IFixit is your best bet for info.

However, any problems arising from the installation process will not be covered (along with the upgrade items themselves of course).

In other words you can put them in but if you mess it up, you're on your own.

I thought hard drives were user replaceable. It seems to suggest as much in Section 3 of this user manual.

It suggests getting an Apple-certified technician (of course it will) to perform but only warns of messing up not being covered not the action itself.

The only part explicitly mentioned as a 'no' is the battery.

That said, there is no user guide for recent models and the DIY manuals stop Mid-2010. Perhaps, you could but can't now.

I believe RAM and SSD upgrades do not void warranty IF Apple class them as user replaceable parts. I expect the Air is the most problematic in this respect.

It's my understanding that you can't upgrade an Air at all, everything is soldered/glued in place.

I've got a maxxed out (2GHz i7, 8gig RAM, 512 gig SSD) 13" Air and love it :)

The Airs and Retina pros all feature soldered RAM.

The Airs also have soldered SSDs

If it were me, I'd get a retina pro w/ SSD.

If you are doing anything remotely graphics based, avoid the 13" as they don't have a dedicated graphics card

• 8 months later...

Hello,

Does anyone own a late 2013 retina macbook pro ?The one with the Intel Haswel CPU and the iris graphics?

I am thinking of purchasing the 13 inch model and I would like to know if anyone has tested it with any of the simulation software and especially with Capture to see how well the integrated GPU handles graphics.

I have one but haven't run any tests. I have used it with 2x thunderbolt-VGA adapters and the HDMI out simultaneously from QLab running 3 remote screens, 2x 1024x768 and 1x 1080 and it handled that inc fades & masking, but not sure how this compares to what you are asking of it

I mean does Capture run smoothly or is it lagging when using the laptop's own screen or a full HD screen via HDMI because Capture's support page states that the GPU must score above 1,000 on Passmark video benchmark.Do Mac OS vs Windows 8 have different scores on the same GPU?

For reference, the Iris Graphics are not significantly faster than HD5000 graphics (as in the Haswell MBA). Even the Iris Pro pales in comparison to the dedicated GT750M in the 15" Retina.

My ideal machine would be the 13" with some dedicated graphics, but alas, such a mac doesn't exist...

I have a 2012 MBP and cannot recommend highly enough doing the ram and SSD upgrades yourself. You will save hundreds of pounds. If you do go down this route; when changing the hard drive to an SSD it is very important that you enable trim support on your new SSD drive it will make the drive run better and last longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the models come without a DVD drive and even worse, some do not allow a simple upgrade of ram anymore! Check before you buy as some can only have ram installed at the factory.

Bah, beaten to it - I missed page 2

Archived