Cheap-ish Microphones

WeaveMcQuilt

Recently I bought a new SM58 (£71.83) from Studiospares along with the Studiospares copy called an S580 (£39.50). I did a blind test with 3 of my crew and asked which they thought was the SM58. After a lot of humming and hahing (sp?) they came down as 2 going for 1 and the third holding out for the other before eventually agreeing with the others. Turns out they got it right, but it had taken a long time to get there. Second question was "which do you prefer?" - straight away they all said the Studiospares mic at half the price. It looks virtually identical, is as well built and sounds better. I won't be buying SM58s any more!

Both Studiospares and Thomann source the very same products from China that are also available as so called 'genuine' mics on ebay. The Thomann SM57 is a good example. The grill is clearly marked with their own model number, on a sticky foil label. I had a couple of these and in the mic box, it was so easy to not notice you had the wrong one, and you just tweak the eq in the usual manner, and the difference, to get what appears to be the same sound is a gnats whisker of a turn!. What I have noticed is that Shure grills stay brighter than the copies for longer. When new, they're the same colour, but two years later, they are not!

The Orchid DI boxes are superb. I also have a couple of his dual channel transformer isolators that are really useful for dealing with things like earth loops from PCs or active speakers.

+1 for the Red 5 RVD30 too.

• 1 month later...

Archived