Looking to buy a wifi router

Manuel1975

I went to buy a airport express because it is robust, has an internal power supply and is very small and the guy at the store told me that the gain you have with an such a dedicated device is small over the wireless network one can create using a macbook because the antenna is located around the screen, so its very big, and thus has good reach...

Anybody has experience with this "in the wild" ?

I've found the wifi from my macbook is not amazing, either in terms of reliability or range. I would use it if I had no other choice, but I wouldn't say it was as good as an Airport Express. Another reason I like the Airport Express is Airplay...obviously I wouldn't use it during a performance, but I find it great to play music for yourself whilst you work on other jobs without the hassle of having to go up to the box when the inevitable inappropriate track comes on http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

Massive TP-link fan, never had a problem. Use them for chamsys vnc, artnet, ls9/m7cl ipad control, sennheiser wsm etc.

Main router I use is a TP-Link WR1043ND

http://uk.tp-link.co...del=TL-WR1043ND

4 Port Gigabit switch and 300mbps 802.11N wifi

For an application which is less than 1KB/sec, getting a gigabit wireless router is like cracking an egg by strapping it to the front of a bus and driving it into a building. I use that router myself at home, and have had issues with it locking up when you use the wireless too much. Other tp-link stuff I've used is okay though. Could easily get away with just a normal wifi version with 100MB network rather than the 300MB / Gigabit networking.

Yes, however it doesn't hurt to get the best available as a router is one of the most flexible pieces of equipment we use, well maybe except for a hammer, and for the price difference between a decent 100mb one and a gigabit model like the 1043ND there is no reason not to really.

++Billion Bipac 7800N too. I used this as my home router for a couple of years until I went FTTC and then it did not fare so well. But as a wireless router its brilliant. Really solid, incredible wireless coverage. For networking kit I normally go with D-Link though. Just avoid Belkin is my advice.

Archived