Starting the toolset

Wrekriem

I actually was thinking of not getting a knife because I thought my multitool would suffice, with your advice I will certainly rethink it.

I have a real hatred of multitools I'm afraid. I understand completely that when you're caught out without a tool kit, they're a very useful thing to have, and even own one myself, but I really don't believe they're a decent substitute when a tool kit is available. Everything about them is a compromise and often the folding knife is a a great way to lose a finger end.

My own choice of knife is similar to that in the photo above. Made by Bessey it came from Flints and has an assortment of blades, one of which in particular looks more like a Scythe! As a knife it's absolutely cracking and has blade storage in the handle.

My own fabric tool roll (which comes with me on most shows - the big tool kit only comes out occasionally these days) contains only a small array of tools, but they get the job done;

Draper side cutters

Lindstrom small side cutters (very delicate and most definitely NOT for tie wraps!)

Wingnut spanner (undoing only!)

2 x Bahco adjustable spanners

Long nose pliers

flat head terminal driver

cross head terminal driver

pz2 driver

large flat driver

forceps (surprisingly useful for retrieving magnets from within moving heads!)

mini maglite

trimming tool (very specific to my work - don't bother!)

scissors

Bessey folding knife.

I make a point of mentioning brand names above, because actually the quality of the tool is really important. Good tools will last you a lifetime, poor tools might just get you hurt.

I can understand the hatred of multitools and come across quite a few people that share it. I feel most of the problems arise when people apply them to the wrong task or don't know their limitations. This is why all the advise of proper tools is brilliant because if I have it all there will be no temptation to try to undo steel deck with my leatherman! (don't worry I'm not that stupid)

The notion of not compromising with brand names is also a very good one.

The fabric roll! That hits what I am looking for right on the head. You see at the moment I don't have a car so lugging around a huge toolkit would be a nightmare, plus in a festival environment I don't see myself staying in one place so I want to be able to pick up the essential tools and go. Any ideas of a good place to get one that has all the right pouches, is the right size, weight, secure etc? I was going to go for the pouch listed in my op but a fabric roll would be so much better.

Great list!

+1 on quality tools, Bahco adjustables don`t self loosen themselves.

My Lindstroms don`t leave my bench , have an insulated pair of Knipex for out and about , 8" pair have scars from being used as an emergency off switch.

Wera or Wiha for screwdrivers.

Old hard drive magnet or other Nd magnet with a bit of string, helpful for holding and fishing for things.

Blu-tak, third hand for soldering and assembly operations.

Gas soldering iron.

LED AAA pocket torch and larger toolbox focusable LED torch, Maglite traditional but long outdated.

On the illumination front, I'm quite a fan of my Petzl Tikka XP 2 and carry it everywhere with me! I used to wield a couple of mini Maglites but they never seemed to last and I found they weren't as efficient on batteries for illumination that gave as what I have now.

I really like the hdd magnet on a bit of string idea! I've got a couple of old ones lying around too.

What is your opinion on the Wera volt tester screwdriver I have linked in the op? After Tim suggested not using those kind of testers I am hesitating getting one. But the context is I will not be using something like that for contact testing, just as something small I can carry around in my pocket when I'm focusing etc so I can check for current through TRS to troubleshoot dead lamps. The Wera I linked initially seems to fit the bill, at a good price.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would consider the following essential for lampying:

Quad spanner

17mm combination spanner

Screwdriver set (Wera Kraftform for example)

Headtorch

Sharpie on a lanyard

13A socket tester with adaptors for 15A and 16A

Multimeter (preferably clamp type for current reading on PowerLock)

Wire cutters

Knife (preferably one that takes Stanley blades)

PPE as required

Caritool

DMX line light

Kettle and mug

Next level of essential:

DMX tester (such as MicroScope)

13mm combination spanner

19mm combination spanner

Hex keys (metric, imperial, Torx, Gorilla Grip are ace)

Line

Pulleys (at least one with a becket for making pulley systems)

Ignition terminal crimp tool, ratchet type and assorted crimps

Decent adjustable

1/4" socket set

Don't bother with the four way podger, a quad spanner is better for lampying. Also don't bother with the Wera voltage tester, if you have to have something for testing for voltage present a VoltStick is the thing.

so I can check for current through TRS to troubleshoot dead lamps

I use one of these for that purpose. It looks similar to your screwdriver tester, but possibly slightly bigger and more rugged. It's fantastic to quickly check whether a lamp has blown without swapping out fixtures.

Right, I'll be going the way of the voltstick then! Thanks. Another good list to cross reference thanks Jon.

I've been bouncing between the podger and the quad spanner, the only reason I've swayed towards the podger is the employer suggested it in an e-mail.

A warning on all neon testers and voltsticks...

NEVER EVER TRUST THEM TO SEE IF A CIRCUIT IS DEAD.

Most certainly! I'm not planning on using a volt stick to test if I can stick my hand into a powered up dimmer. I've never had more than a very mild shock and plan to use the same methods and common sense I have always used to keep it that way. Always positive advise though, especially when 3 phase is involved it's never worth the risk.

Rub a voltstick on the front of your jumper and then decide how useful they are at indicating a live circuit!

Just a note about gas soldering irons, in the small print of my PLI it specifically mentions not working with heat, apart from electric soldering irons. Does a gas iron fall under hot work regulations?

Well considering the voltage of static energy, I would be disappointed if it didn't pick that up! Surely the idea is to use any kind of voltage detector with an understanding of how they work, their downfalls and proper application. Like any tool :)

Can only agree with all the above about voltage testers. Great for quickly seeing if something is live, less so for dead. To check something is dead, check it's disconnected, then check with a meter (and a proving box if we're really picky) then check it's still disconnected, with no easy way to reconnect it, then work. I speak as somebody who has use his right hand to make the contact between L2 and an earthed back plate. I got distracted as I was about to check it was off, and then bypassed the checking. Not pleasant!!

Also not sure how much I'd trust that Multi-Screwdriver thing. Not used one or seen one, but just not sure it would work as well as several seperate screwdrivers!

Stanley knives are perfect for when you know the blade will get trashed, as 20p gets a new blade. Try that with a leatherman! (I love my leatherman nonetheless, and it has got me out of many a tight spot)

Does a gas iron fall under hot work regulations?

Good point, most gas irons are catalytic heat generators rather than open flame, but they get closer to ignition temp of stuff than a plug in electric iron. High heat can be an advantage with some larger connectors or solder that appears to have been cast in a crucible heated from the centre of the Sun ;-)

Tend to be quite chunky as well, wouldn`t want to do much PCB rework with a gas iron, but in the field, as in literally in a field, they can have their advantages.

Battery powered irons are quite a lot worse than useless.

Personal liking for Antex for plug in irons.

If this is for Edinburgh, then I suggest a knife, fork & spoon or similar. You'll get little chance to eat, you don't want to be wasting it looking for cutlery!

My tour kit includes a selection of mugs, kettle and microwave, alongside a box of teabags, some sugar and some coffee whitener!

It's also worthwhile investing £5 as an "emergency fiver". I have one in my tool kit (shouldn't have said that, now everyone will be raiding it) and it's always useful to have. Actually mine's more like a fiver with a few pound coins for vending machines as well.

Also essential for every tool kit is a box of pain killers and a couple of plasters. I've got a little tupperware box in my big tool kit with a couple of foils of tablets in it and some elastoplast. Arguably the venue should have a first aid kit, but I always like to have a couple of essentials kicking around.

A sachet of lemsip can be handy too, especially over the winter season.

5 most used tools in my box (not that it sees much use of late):

Emergency tea

Sharpie

Quad spanner

PZ2 screwdriver

Adjustable spanner

There are lots of other things in there, but they are always at the top.

On the subject of knife's I've found this fish knife to be really handy. One handed operation and no blade to fold up so pop's stright in the pocket. Great for cutting through cable ties, sash and bolton fabric. (also with the added benefit that you can't really use the end of a finger with one)

Archived