LED cyc lights

vinntec

The source 4 led is fine for face light cause of the 7 colour led system. You can mix a whole variety of colours too.

Michael - I was wondering about this, but is this based on your actual experience of using Lustr+ units of some sort, or just what you expect to be the case? This leaves me wondering why ETC have more than one LED engine (apart for TV/film use) in the first place or am I being dozy here? Peter

The Lustr+ Is designed for saturated colours, their is a reason for different engines.

Hi Big Jay - thanks for the video. It does say that the Lustr+ will give a pure tunable white or pastel but at reduced lumens compared to a white engine or incandescent. In our tiny theatre, this might well be a non-issue as apart from cyc lighting the same engine could also start replacing our monster 650W Prelude zooms which are right above the audience heads. It is just the cost which is a worry as three of these fitted out also to be zoom profiles comes to about £6K in round numbers (with VAT) - we can probably squeeze a discount but it is still a big number to swallow. The Chroma-Q is less sophisticated but could probably do a dual role as a backlighter with barn doors fitted and is about £1K cheaper each but volumetrics are harder to understand and we might need four to be safe (which is still about £2K less than the ETC option above (although I could cut the cost by setting up single function units but that means the LED engines will sit idle for most shows).

In my bones, the ETC seems the better choice but as I said earlier, nothing to say Lustr++ won't be out in a year or two and that is the main concern. On the other hand, both are over powered for our tiny theatre so it might be this is less of an issue than it first seems - e.g. 575W S4 would be perfectly good (if we had any!) and 750W really OTT for our needs.

No fans of the Selecon PLCYC1 or PLCYC2 out there?

Peter

While looking for something else entirely, I ran across the Altman Spectra RGBA (or RGBW) Cyc units, the 50W version of which comes in for around £780 inc VAT which is quite a lot less than the other options considered even if I need four. The 100W one is about double the price but probably OTT for us. The snag is they are single use lanterns and I believe only one supplier (White Light). Just wondering if anyone either side of the pond (or any pond for that matter) has experience of using them, as they seem to have been around for quite a while already? Peter

Hi Peter

I hope all is well.

As you mention the Color Force 12 is a multi application fixture. We have sold them for use as CYC lighting, front & back light and pipe ends.

We do a range of accessories for them including barn doors, top hats and also border & Cyc lens kits.

We would love the opportunity to show you these in situe and let you see the fantastic output using our custom optics and also the high colour rendition. As the Color Force range is RGBA they can produce some brilliant saturated colours as well as the most subtle of pastels.

If you could drop me a message we would be delighted to bring some units down for you to look at. I'm pretty confident you will be suitably impressed.

Many thanks

James

• 3 weeks later...

Try these Core ones - Core Point 20

This wouldn't be a link to your company by any chance?

That product does not look suitable for replacing a Coda500 on a theatre cyc.

Ding ding ding!

Yes, Justin Levene works for the company linked to in that post.

I also suggest that Justin has no idea what a Coda500 is...

David

Archived