What would be the next step up?

dickiefunk

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd post a quick update. I ended up getting the QSC KW181 subs and these have been quite a step up from the previous EV's that I owned. The KW181's have a significantly higher output with a much tighter punch to the sound. I've used these on bigger gigs than what I used to use the EV's on and they handled larger venues and audiences with ease. I've not seen the clip light even flicker yet in venues of 300+ people and people have commented on how great they sound on every gig I've used them on. Overall I'm really liking the KW181 / DXR15 combo and am getting great results with it. I am still a little tempted to check out some possible upgrades for the DXR15's but I'm certainly not in any hurry. One option that does seem pretty interesting is the new Shermann Audio DG3 :-

Blue Acoustic Products

http://www.blue-acoustic.com/Blue%20PDF/DG3-Data-2016.pdf

These speakers are loaded with Faital Pro drivers and Powersoft amp modules. I would expect these to be a noticeable step up from the Eminence and Celestion drivers and amp module used in the DXR15's (though these are custom drivers designed specifically for the DXR's and overseen by Nexo). They also weigh a fraction less than the DXR15's at 21kg and have wooden cabinets compared to the DXR's plastic cabinets!

Archived