Stage lighting for duo

Us Two

but are we right in thinking two or more DMX-controlled lights could be on separate plugs yet be controlled simultaneously?

yes is correct

opto-isolated DMX splitter to split the data to the devices on the different circuits

This is common practice but something I have never had a problem with. for the type of venues you will be playing I hardly see it as essential.

it is adviced that you keep everything to do with sound eg: amps, mixers, EQ's ect on the same ring main, this is to reduce the possiblitys of ground loops (earth buzz).

vince

opto-isolated DMX splitter to split the data to the devices on the different circuits

This is common practice but something I have never had a problem with. for the type of venues you will be playing I hardly see it as essential.

vince

Thanks for the reply, Vince. Does that mean you can DMX-control the lights on separate circuits without such a splitter?

Angie & Rob

yes, as long as all the fixtures are DMX linked (daisy chained) together you can plug the units into any mains outlet. Plug it in an other room if you want to.

Never caused me a problem.

But again as ive said try to keep audio setups on the same ring, or phase to reduce ground loops.

I’m surprised to see Vinny recommend to “try to keep audio setups on the same ring, or phase to reduce ground loops.â€

I would have been inclined to keep the lighting and sound on separate phases (when possible) to reduce the high frequency component of the dimmers bleeding onto the audio circuits (and causing hum). The DMX should be opto-isolated and grounded at only one end and there should be no other common connection between the two systems so ground loops shouldn’t happen. Of-course if your DMX is not opto-isolated and grounded at multiple points then ground loops are a possibility.

Also Vinny posted at 5:30am in your time zone. As this is the web he could be anywhere in the world.

I’m surprised to see Vinny recommend to “try to keep audio setups on the same ring, or phase to reduce ground loops.â€

I think what me meant was keep all the audio/ sound equipment on the same ring but not necessarily on the same ring as the lighting setup!

Sam

I think what me meant was keep all the audio/ sound equipment on the same ring but not necessarily on the same ring as the lighting setup! 

Sam

Ah! (* Smiley with light bulb (oops, lamp!) illuminated over it *)

That makes a lot more sense. I was misled as discussion had been on splitting lighting onto multiple AC feeds.

Another little kit that is on offer at the moment is the:

Band/ Disco Kit for £299 at Stage Electrics

Ideal for mobile disco / band use. Create pre-programmed flash and chase sequences, or sound activated. Line microphone input, compact and easily portable. Kit consists of Encore 4ch band light controller + 13A fitted plug, 4 x Encore P56 inc lamps and IEC plugs, jack to jack cable, Doughty Club 35 Stand and lighting gel.

Sam

Why not have a look at thomann, they do some integrated kits, if you have trouble finding stuff on their website get a copy of hot deals, they have some set s with 4 parcans etc.

Chris.

Thanks, Chris, but can't get the link you've given to work!

www.thomann.de should work.

(Chris missed off the www.)

Archived