RF Spectrum analyzer for less than $50US

peterskine

I had to adjust the onset on mine too as it was misreading. The only annoyance is that windows insists on re-installing the wrong driver for it every time, so I have to run the driver utility first, then start the software or it can't communicate with the dongle. windows 10 does this on other USB devices I have - which is annoying and I've not found a way to prevent to doing it yet!

Thanks Bruce. It's a nice clear guide, but unfortunately the current software (v1.0.0.1444) has a different GUI, which doesn't appear to offer frequency correction (mine varies from 4.5kHz low at VHF to 38kHz low at the top of Ch.70), unless there is a less-visible work-round.

I downloaded (& printed-off) that guide yesterday - today I'm locked out - curious.

Edited by sandall

Don't use the RTL's too much myself, but I believe there can be some temperature drift as the oscillator warms up, so worth letting them settle down (in a stable environment!) before setting the offset. Example linky, many more knocking around. I seem to recall one chap even immersing his set-up in an oil-bath to keep the temperature as constant as possible...

ETA: didn't see the previous replies before making this one. Apologies if redundant.

Edited by scjb

I was looking for a "Front end" tab, but I see in the current version it's been replaced by the Config cog. Offset now sorted, though as expected it drifts quite a bit while warming up.

Thanks to all for your help. It's a great little toy.

Edited by sandall

• 3 years later...
Update on this. Having updated my Win-7 laptops to Win-10 a few months back I recently found that SDR no longer recognised the RTL dongle. After a bit of faffing around, I installed Zadig 2.5 & then used it to reinstall the driver for the dongle. All is now well.