Church event

bakerboy

We will continue to struggle on this one without knowing the venue, the band and the expectations of all those involved.

However, just to give you some perspective, events like Soul Survivor are pretty carefully engineered so as to give sufficient audio bandwidth, level, coverage and intelligibility. The worship band levels are kept at 98dB(A)leq - which seems a pretty good balance between being perceptually loud but not overpowering or irresponsible.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Events like Soul Survivor are pretty carefully engineered so as to give sufficient audio bandwidth, level, coverage and intelligibility. The worship band levels are kept at 98dB(A)leq - which seems a pretty good balance between being perceptually loud but not overpowering or irresponsible.

Just curious, what does a C-weighted reading look like at those events?

I often find that, when mixing a band alongside congregational singing, it seems natural to emphasise lower frequencies to give a sense of power and impact, but easing back on the midrange in particular so that the congregation can still hear themselves sing.

Having looked at the website of the business your profile states you work for, in particular their "hire" page, it appears they have everything you need. It's fair to say your £200 should go alot further hiring from a company you work for, than hiring elsewhere.

As an aside to the fun technical stuff, the context of your posting suggests you are being engaged as an individual to provide sound equipment and engineering services at this event. As a minor, do you have the most important piece of equipment? (liability insurance cover).

Perhaps I'm missing something (or he's edited his profile), but it says 'home' as place of employment, and he's 22 years old.........

Just curious, what does a C-weighted reading look like at those events?

I don't have the C weighted figure, but would expect a 10 to 20dB difference. There were some d&b J subs used in 2012 that flapped ones trouser legs quite nicely!

I often find that, when mixing a band alongside congregational singing, it seems natural to emphasise lower frequencies to give a sense of power and impact, but

easing back on the midrange in particular so that the congregation can still hear themselves sing.

That's a nice method for increasing the perceived level without blowing people's ears off!

Having looked at the website of the business your profile states you work for, in particular their "hire" page, it appears they have everything you need. It's fair to say your £200 should go alot further hiring from a company you work for, than hiring elsewhere.

As an aside to the fun technical stuff, the context of your posting suggests you are being engaged as an individual to provide sound equipment and engineering services at this event. As a minor, do you have the most important piece of equipment? (liability insurance cover).

Perhaps I'm missing something (or he's edited his profile), but it says 'home' as place of employment, and he's 22 years old.........

How peculiar! Two days ago his full name was shown (George something - can't remember the surname), he worked for Laser Light & Sound in Ipswich and was 17 years old.

At that rate he'll be drawing his pension by the end of next week.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I don't have the C weighted figure, but would expect a 10 to 20dB difference. There were some d&b J subs used in 2012 that flapped ones trouser legs quite nicely!

Didn't they just! I remember them well! :-)

Archived