Best powered system - budget no object

dco_uk

Have a look at the Yamaha DSR series, they dont deserve to be as good as they are for the money they cost! You will have to listen to them to believe how warm and powerful these units are for the money. Dont be put off by the fact you can get a full FOH rig for under £3k

+1 for Yamaha DSR, they were 'best of test' when I listened to 10-12 12 + horn actives (on the quest for new tops), until I heard QSC K12, the opportunity to buy an ex demo pair of K12s for £1200 sealed the deal for me. The DSRs are very flattering sounding and very loud indeed.

Totally agree! They certainly hold their own and nice to hear someone agreeing with me on my choice. I work in a venue with a full D&B rig and although they would never replace the detailed install that has been done in this venue (multiple stacks, fills, delays etc) for all the touring stuff I do I have had NO doubt that I bought the best system that I could afford at the time. I went for the DSR112s and 118s. The power to weight (not literally weight) ratio is amazing. Off the top of my head the tops are 1300w and bi amped. I will certainly have no hesitation in buying another set to replace my ageing backup system. I am actually seriously considering purchasing on the back of the DSRs a couple of sets of the DXR 12's for monitors to replace my SRM450s.

I would honestly suggest anyone with a budget of around 3k-4k to have a listen to these before simply going to the larger names as these units are surprisingly good!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a look at the Yamaha DSR series, they dont deserve to be as good as they are for the money they cost! You will have to listen to them to believe how warm and powerful these units are for the money. Dont be put off by the fact you can get a full FOH rig for under £3k

+1 for Yamaha DSR, they were 'best of test' when I listened to 10-12 12 + horn actives (on the quest for new tops), until I heard QSC K12, the opportunity to buy an ex demo pair of K12s for £1200 sealed the deal for me. The DSRs are very flattering sounding and very loud indeed.

Totally agree! They certainly hold their own and nice to hear someone agreeing with me on my choice. I work in a venue with a full D&B rig and although they would never replace the detailed install that has been done in this venue (multiple stacks, fills, delays etc) for all the touring stuff I do I have had NO doubt that I bought the best system that I could afford at the time. I went for the DSR112s and 118s. The power to weight (not literally weight) ratio is amazing. Off the top of my head the tops are 1300w and bi amped. I will certainly have no hesitation in buying another set to replace my ageing backup system. I am actually seriously considering purchasing on the back of the DSRs a couple of sets of the DXR 12's for monitors to replace my SRM450s.

I would honestly suggest anyone with a budget of around 3k-4k to have a listen to these before simply going to the larger names as these units are surprisingly good!

I bought a pair of DXR10s for monitors (and an Alto Truesonic TS110A, one more of each to follow) for my own 'pub band' rig (Two QSC K12s over a single EV SbA750 sub, Mackie DL1608 desk). All really good kit (even the TS110A for the money) very happy with it all. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

In order of ascending performance (and therefore price!):

QSC K Active stuff / Yamaha DSR - these are fine, but no match for Q7

Tannoy VXP - These are stunning for a lot less money than L'Acoustics / D&B / Meyer.

L'Acoustics / Meyer.

Why active though? Is it just a size thing?

Why not a shiny new D80, with some Q7/Q10 and Qsub?

I get the impression that you are looking for a system that not only sounds amazing but is easy to transport, quick to set-up and doesn't look too bulky or obtrusive.

I would certainly take a serious look at the Fohhn range - particularly the =437&cHash=bdf74c4175e29aed0815b0969e825a04"]Linea Live systems - and arrange a demo with a local dealer.

Steve

Are you serious on the money's no object thing - there's a huge range of prices in what's available as powered boxes - are you looking to be spending hundreds, thousands, or millions - what's your realistic expectations of how much speakers can cost?

I get the impression that you are looking for a system that not only sounds amazing but is easy to transport, quick to set-up and doesn't look too bulky or obtrusive.

I would certainly take a serious look at the Fohhn range - particularly the Linea Live systems - and arrange a demo with a local dealer.

Steve

Exactly Steve....the Fohhn stuff had taken my eye

Are you serious on the money's no object thing - there's a huge range of prices in what's available as powered boxes - are you looking to be spending hundreds, thousands, or millions - what's your realistic expectations of how much speakers can cost?

We stock D&B so are well aware of how much speakers can cost!

As the original post states, this is for a function band playing 100-175 person audiences, so a sub - pole - top system is what is required.

S0, yes, spending £10k would not be a problem BUT not just for the sake of it.

The L'acoustics or Fohhn options would have to be much better than say, a DSR system to warrant the 3x price tag.

I did a gig a few years ago and our system was rather under specified (not entirely our fault, it was a last minute booking and we got the venue out of a spot). IIRC the headline band decided to bring their own Nexo PA in, it was a revelation, until then I wouldn't have believed a relatively compact (in box size that is) system could produce the levels required for a room holding 1500 people. We now run EAW/Crown iTech for bigger gigs which does the business. The point being that expensive kit can produce the goods, however in a room of 200 punters £10,000 will take a lot of justifying when my £3000 rig will do the job just as well.

Em acoustics do powered versions of a couple of their products, could make a very potent compact system, otherwise I would also recomend the yamaha dxr series, stunning boxes, especially at the price they go for

The L'acoustics or Fohhn options would have to be much better than say, a DSR system to warrant the 3x price tag.

I think thats my point. I cant comment on the Fohhn systems but I can compare the DSR to a D&B and although I would say the D&B is a better product (albeit not powered) its price tag and the small quality difference compared to the large price difference is what put me onto the DSRs. To my ears there isnt much around the price of the DSRs that will come even close and the next level of sound quality up seems to be 3x the price tag as you rightly say.

It may look lovely, but I'm yet to hear a KV2 system (of any description) sound anything but shouty and loud. No finesse, no warmth, just loud.

go to a gig in Hall 2 at The Sage Gateshead if you want to hear an KV2 ES system in a lovely acoustically designed room to hear how good they can sound.

Archived