Cheap artnet node

ceecrb1

The fact of the matter is, with proprietary products, manufacturers can pretty much guarantee its reliability and stability.

The other nice thing is that if there is some kind of problem, there is only one place to look to for support - the console manufacturer can't blame the node manufacturer and vice versa.

I see me owning a snakesys b4 or r4 in my not too distant future....

Especially as this weekends job was offered to me again for next year just 10 minutes after comming off air!

Its a real shame as there was a "no social media" clause etc to the job...

Its one of those jobs where artnet becomes most usefull as the control room doesnt give any real view of the stage or the event room... Opping via PVM...

Basically means I can leave the backup (pretty mis-treated hired) mq100 in the opp room and run a temporary 10mtr RJ45 to the stage area for programming on my MQ60 yet still have all the backup/sync etc of the two desks running... and its just one rj45 and a mains I trail around rather than mains and 4 XLR´s.

But from a control standpoint, chamsys worked out great for me and even though artnet caused me problems because of the cheap node, it would´ve really really helped me with being able to get into stage/seating area to program, rather than program over walkie/talkie through a piece of tinted glass...

At the very least, Its just quicker and easier for me to take the mq60 around the stage on wheels with a lightmeter and set wash lights 1 by 1 myself after the LD tells me what he wants for intensity and temperature.... rather than the typical "more more more, less less, too far, no the other way.. up, up, there!"

Was my first time opping magicq it in a live TV situation with an LD calling out focus, intensities and temperature which had to be "locked down" as he required.. and there are a few things I see I need to alter from how I normally use magicq (busking etc) for tv use... but it was flawless.

I had a what looked like a major fault with the hired mq100 and had to phone southampton, there was a "call back in 10 mins for the solution" given. In the end I didnt need to call back, as what I didnt know was that one of the other freelance crew isone of the spanish distrubuitor's employees, so he had the "ok" to open it up and fix it. (tbh was a minor issue, but I dont go opening up kit that isnt mine). If someone in southampton reads this, send them an internal video cable in the post ;)

Like I said, its a shame there was a social media ban etc.. Was a great job and I´m pretty sure it was out live europe wide... it was a major sporting event on sunday, in spain.... where there were prizes given out....

Archived