Mounting speakers to vertical beam

Skimble

Structural engineer advice and general best practice is not to drill in to "old" structural beams like this - you run the risk of significantly weakening them and you're also exposing the "inside" of the beam to oxygen and moisture thus creating a future corrosion/failure point. It's also a tricky job drilling in to 6mm thick steel whilst on top of a ladder

Well there's no excuse for not using a proper access platform, remember kids ladders aren't platforms they are only a means of access, so any form of drilling or assembly of brackets and hanging of speakers should be done from a work platform such as an access tower, scissor lift, etc.

http://harrisfowler.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/iStock_000015152323XSmall1-child-as-Health-Safety-inspector.jpg

Anyway,

I'm not sure about Brian's 'lindapter' advice either, Lindapter beam clamps are really designed for use on horizontal beams, since the small surface area of the screws gives little friction, so any load hung on a vertical beam could more easily give cause for the bracket to slip. It would be better to create something of a cantilever so that the plate is being pushed onto the beam at the by the load, and it tightened in situ. Alternatively you could use components with a better surface area and more grip to the beam, when working with such things I often use rubber pads as when tightened these can be very grippy (well, it's what they make tyres out of!) to prevent slide.

In either case it would also be important, IMO, to mark the vertical position of the bracket; so that when inspections are performed, any slippage can be monitored and acted on.

Lindapters are rated for use on vertical I beams ( oh all right Brian - columns).

I agree, drilling into this sort of steel work is not a quick job from a ladder or otherwise. When we did it we hired in a big magnetic drill. You will want some form of work platform if that is the route you choose. However, unless we are talking a silly height, a suitable ladder would be quite appropriate for attaching brackets, lindapters etc. (subject to your RA).

T

Lindapters are rated for use on vertical I beams ( oh all right Brian - columns).

I suppose, ultimately, it comes down to which Lindapter product we are talking about! For sure something like a Type AF is perfectly good for such applications but their little flange clamps, probably aren't. In my original statement I was referring to the latter as this is what I've come used to people referring to as 'lindaptors' (pic below) but Lindapter are indeed a brand of many products.

What I meant as "Lindaptor":

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/images/products/t29700.jpg

Lindapter AF High Friction

http://www.lindapter.com/images/products/main/65.jpg

I agree, drilling into this sort of steel work is not a quick job from a ladder or otherwise. When we did it we hired in a big magnetic drill. You will want some form of work platform if that is the route you choose. However, unless we are talking a silly height, a suitable ladder would be quite appropriate for attaching brackets, lindapters etc. (subject to your RA).

HSE Guidance on ladders is that:

HSE's key message is that ladders should only be used for low-risk, short-duration work.

I would judge it as a higher risk application, because a suitably sized magnetic drill will be heavy, and it moves. I completely understand that it's a PITA having to hire an access tower, collect it from the hire shop, build it (2 man task), use it, take it down, take it back to the hire shop etc. It also probably adds £100 to the job cost. But on the flip side one of my school friends is only 25 and he's spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because he was working from a ladder when his power tool slipped and the weight of it lead to his fall onto concrete. It puts it into perspective that ladders are just not the place to be doing heavy work. Changing a profile lamp or putting coloured gels in, fine. But not the place, IMO, to be drilling into steelwork with large power tools. Yes it might put an extra hundred quid on the job cost and mean things take an extra half an hour to do, but falling off will cost you a minimum of a few days off work up to a maximum lifetime out of a job (or indeed, no life at all)...

Archived