MAC 600 chip heatsinks

Mr Steve

Doom.

Chip swapped, with heatsink. Board back in. The unit displays RST as normal, but there is no power to any of the motors, no wheels move or calibrate (they are freely movable with no resistance). The fans spin up though. I'm guessing something on the motherboard is toast? Any ideas?

*after a while it will scroll the various errors as it can't calibrate any of the attributes etc Lamp will strike/douse off the manual menu. Loom meters out from base to head.

UPDATE

Any driver chip in the pan or tilt driver position causes fuse F601 (T5AL) to pop. With the chips missing, the thing will home all colours etc. Does this suggest a short on the PCB / chip sockets? The board is fairly mucky...

I've had a proper dense moment. The 3775 chips have their dimple upwards, and the 3772s dimple down, so I had flipped the orientation of the driver causing the motor fuse to blow.

Slightly embarrassing....but it now works.

Also be sure to check the legs on the pan/tilt driver chips. It is very easy for one or more pins to miss their holes in the socket and end up getting bent. If a leg is bent and touching something it shouldn't, it could easily cause all sorts of issues.

It could also be the current sensing resistors for the pan/tilt motors that have failed. This would lead to the driver chip trying to pass too much current to the motor, which would in turn kill the chip and the fuse. I'm fairly certain that the pan/tilt motors are fed from a different supply to all the other motors as they need a higher voltage.

Have a look at the datasheet for the driver chip. It will tell you where the resistors connect to the chip. Remove the chip, measure the resistance of the current-sensing resistors on the motherboard, and compare with a known working unit. On a Mac 250 there are three 1.5Ohm resistors connected in parallel to give a combined resistance of 0.5Ohms. There are two sets of resistors per chip, one set per motor winding, so be sure to check both.

It could also be the current sensing resistors for the pan/tilt motors that have failed. This would lead to the driver chip trying to pass too much current to the motor, which would in turn kill the chip and the fuse. I'm fairly certain that the pan/tilt motors are fed from a different supply to all the other motors as they need a higher voltage.

The most common sense resistor fault is that they go open circuit which leads to no current in the motor. However if they go short circuit, then overcurrent happens as you say.

Archived