phantom power and radio mics

raymond.faccini

As I thought, a single cap would only block 48VDC on one conductor.... death to any dynamic mic connected thus (and probably to the wireless mic receiver too) http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

Dynamic mic (clarification - a balanced dynamic mic) wont care and will function quite happily with a cap in one leg.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I thought, a single cap would only block 48VDC on one conductor.... death to any dynamic mic connected thus (and probably to the wireless mic receiver too) http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

Dynamic mic (clarification - a balanced dynamic mic) wont care and will function quite happily with a cap in one leg.

Yes, I think I can see how a properly wired dynamic mic would be unaffected (as long as the capsule is isolated from the chassis/ground a single cap would block DC from flowing through the capsule?). Not sure about the wireless mic receiver, surely that would depend on the mechanism used to create the balanced output (I think)?

You'd probably let the magic smoke out.

they'd soon stop handing you telephones instead of a CD or memory stick ;)

Or you'd learn to invest in an iPod dock for such occasions...

Or at the least a small balancing box

I have a "special" that I made up, M-M XLR sex change barrel with one of the connectors removed, and a cable gland glued into the back. Neutrik NTE-1 transformer stuffed inside, just fits! Wired to sum L+R via resistors and then balance via transformer. Very happy!

Hello There, I think it's far more likely this is a speaker impedance/ amp loading problem as the system failed after a time possibly due to shutdown because of overheating. Was your amp in bridge mode ? because the minimum impedance is often 8 ohms, one speaker would normally present an 8 ohm load while two would present a 4 ohm load and possibly cause what you say. It's difficult to diagnose what your problem is without full knowledge of your system.

Er, why would you want to put an iPhone into an XLR mic level input anyway? At any reasonable level, it's much closer to a line output (and I don't know about you but I generally run out of mic pre amps before I run out of Line inputs).

Some consoles have few or no 1/4" jack inputs, and when you just want a bit of background music, or something to test the system with, it's much easier to use a quick cable than have to muck around setting up a DI box also :)

Thats exactly the reason

Use a mobile phone to make a phone call and a bit of sound kit to connect to a sound rig. The problem with every bit of kit being able to do many things to a fashion is that too much bodging goes on and not enough sound engineering. Use kit that is fit for purpose.

Archived