Alternatives to Power Point

Nana111

In my experience, HDMI>SDI converters do not pass any signal if the input has HDCP on.

This is definitely the case with Black Magic and AJA converters.

Panasonic mixers with HDMI inputs also refuse to pass HDCP content with no option to bypass the protection.

If the source requires to negotiate HDCP to on before it will output anything then that would be true for example it's not going to work with any DVD or Bluray player or any games console.

However MacOS does not require HDCP and will negotiate it to off and still display a picture if the sink does not support it. You would then get errors if any DRMed content was attempted to be played, for example any video bought from the iTunes store.

I can certainly see the above behaviour from a MacBook Pro using a Mini DisplayPort->DVI adaptor plugged into a Kramer DVI->SDI converter plugged in to a Panasonic projector.

According to

http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/downloads/white-papers/hdmi_challenges_whitepaper_3.pdf

Most Apple products, including MacBook notebook computers, Mac Mini computers, Apple TV set-top boxes, and iPads, can enable or disable copy protection automatically. This setting is determined by (a) the presence of protected video content and (b) the detection of either an HDCP-compliant or non-compliant display. If any of these Apple products first sense a non-compliant switching or signal distribution product in the signal path, copy protection will be disabled. This allows non-compliant video and audio to pass, but blocks HDCP-compliant content from being viewed.

An example would be if a Mac Mini is connected to the input of an HDCP-compliant scaler/switcher, and a non-compliant video monitor is connected to the output. Because the scaler/switcher is HDCP-compliant, the Mac Mini detects that accordingly and encrypts all content that it plays back. The result is that the scaler/switcher’s analog outputs (component video, VGA, etc.) are disabled, even when they do not need to be.

When configuring an AV system with Apple products and connecting one or more displays that are not HDCP-compliant, this unique problem can be solved with the addition of an EDID emulator (such as Kramer’s VA-1DVIN) right after the Apple product in the signal path. The Apple product will detect the emulator, turn off its encryption mode, and pass non-protected video and audio content through the system.

From some reading around there are a lot of people complaining about Black Magic converters I can only assume that for some reason they are claiming to be HDCP compliant when it is an active misfeature that they are.

This is all becoming a mac vs pc debate.

All I can add is that some of the companies I work for have a dvi detective boxed with their Macs but not with the windows PCs. Obviously they have had issues with hdcp and Macs and this is their work around. From experience myself, I have only had this problem with Macs and I don't use DRM restricted content on shows.

There might be the myriad but to be honest, as a rental house, we've not found having the right adapters to be a problem. We have a stock of usual suspects in our production cases, and are generally going to VGA or DVI, so I can't say we've ever come unstuck.

A rental house doesn't really show up those kind of issues,though, as you set your own decisions about connector standards. As a receiving house, I've had folk turn up with most of the above at some point., and it's a royal pain in the fundament, whatever the purist technical advantage of each new connector might be.

And again, I agree that restricting infrastructure to VGA misses out on some of the possible benefits of newer generation connectivities. But isn't that only like sticking with 13a when we shoud be using Schukos on new build, or 15A instead of CEE-FORMs for our lighting? They're 'industry standard' and that makes everyone's life that much easier. And how much are the higher specs of the likes of HDMI actually needed, most of the time? Can't say I've ever found VGA to be lacking in anything we need from it.

I certainly agree that not having threads for the binding posts is annoying (and frankly stupid), but I've been fairly lucky I guess, in that I've never had a VGA fall out in such a situation: it's a pretty grippy connector in its own right, and actually you can improve that by deforming the outer shell inwards ever so slightly, grips as well as an HDMI with that little extra.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions on the Software the OP was originally looking for.??

Id be interested in finding out what other options are about on a budget ?

Matt

If you are providing a facility for other people to display presentations then it needs to be PowerPoint compatible.

Your options are:

Microsoft PowerPoint.

You can download a viewer for PC here. This is free. It will not let you edit or save presentations.

A full version of PowerPoint is part of the Office suite. You can buy it for a £100 or less. Google shopping results.

There are PC and Mac versions.

Open Office.

Impress is part of the Open Office suite of software. It is mostly compatible with PowerPoint. The layout is different, it is not 100% compatible, be prepared to have to tweak some presentations. This software is free.

Open Office

There are PC and Mac versions.

Keynote.

Keynote is for Macs only. It is compatible with PowerPoint presentations. It costs £13.99

Keynote from Apple.

Cheers,

Peter

I need software that will allow you to schedule the playback of various video adverts in Avi or Wmv format.

it needs to be able to schedule certain advert loops at certain times of the day.. Different schedules for different days of the week are also required.

I'm looking for a type of Free or cheap digital signage software. I can design the adverts on Adobe after Effects so its just the schedule playout software needed.

I have tried using Windows scheduler and VLC which works to a point ,but need a more streamlined solution , the ability to change or upload changes remotely would be advantageous.

matt

I need software that will allow you to schedule the playback of various video adverts in Avi or Wmv format.

it needs to be able to schedule certain advert loops at certain times of the day.. Different schedules for different days of the week are also required.

I'm looking for a type of Free or cheap digital signage software. I can design the adverts on Adobe after Effects so its just the schedule playout software needed.

I have tried using Windows scheduler and VLC which works to a point ,but need a more streamlined solution , the ability to change or upload changes remotely would be advantageous.

matt

Rather off topic but an aswer to your question is: Xibo

Archived