Strand LightPalette 520 - replace just console?

Patrick Randall

The 'Q Only/Track' key is for single use in the command line to do the opposite of whatever mode the board is set to, i.e., if the board is in tracking then the command line <Record> <Cue> 11 <Q Only/Track> will save definite values for that cue. It will not toggle between tracking and snapshot modes.

Ah, right. I never used it myself, I just knew it was there.

Although the syntax looks barse ackwards for a strand ... wouldn't it have been <cue>11<Q only/track><record> ?

As the board in question is in the US, it is highly likely that it is in Command Line mode, as that is generally how they are set up. Your syntax is Direct Digit, which is a UK perversion.

The 'Q Only/Track' key is for single use in the command line to do the opposite of whatever mode the board is set to, i.e., if the board is in tracking then the command line <Record> <Cue> 11 <Q Only/Track> will save definite values for that cue. It will not toggle between tracking and snapshot modes.

Ah, right. I never used it myself, I just knew it was there.

Although the syntax looks barse ackwards for a strand ... wouldn't it have been <cue>11<Q only/track><record> ?

As the board in question is in the US, it is highly likely that it is in Command Line mode, as that is generally how they are set up. Your syntax is Direct Digit, which is a UK perversion.

Ahhh, I was going to say that, but wasn't 100% and didn't have a virtual machine handy to test it on first!

• 2 weeks later...

Supplementary question - after further exploration I have located a huge Strand house lighting control unit - I think it is a CP80 (or something like that - sorry I will find out) that has circuit breakers and push in/out LED buttons for all the house lighting circuits. Some clown had fitted the chandeliers with some fluorescent bulbs alongside some incandescents - the resultant interesting results have caused the church not to use the dimming controls - either on the wall (3 buttons) or in the sound/lighting booth where there is a separate Strand control panel (about 1ft x 5") with individual faders for the circuits, a master fader and another three buttons that look like Full on, dim and off. The LED push buttons on the CP80 determine whether or not these faders try to have an effect. I have changed out one circuit to all incandescent and can manually dim it.

Now - I note that someone has written by each fader on this little panel, group numbers that correspond to group numbers on the LightPalette console Live display. I'm thinking - wow I can maybe control the house lights with cues and such. Problem is, changing the intensity values on the LP have no effect. I tried the LED buttons in and out but nothing. Anyone have any bright (no pun intended) ideas what I should do? (Someone has been here before as the block of groups are referenced in several old cues - they stand out in an obvious way).

Hopefully yours, Dim Patrick in Port Charlotte

Hopefully yours, Dim Patrick in Port Charlotte

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/

Has manuals for lots of classic Strand equipment, I think your dimmers are probably CD80 and should accept control from the 520 if the DIP switches on the input module are set correctly and things are correctly addressed. It's also possible that someone has changed the soft patch on the desk such that the intensity channels on the desk aren't connected where you think they are.

Archived