Mixing desk with plug in simple remote

Bazz339

I've had some success using the Behringer BCF2000 as a simple 8 fader remote control for my desk. It's incredibly simple to set up (I don't "do" midi particularly!) in that once you've got it talking to the desk, you just stick it in "learn" mode. Then wiggle the fader on the BCF, followed by the fader on the desk you're wanting to control. Just remember to store whatever you've done on the BCF afterwards. You can have multiple pages of 8 faders stored on the BCF.

I use it to give me an extra 8 faders on my Roland M480, so I know it works on their consoles. I'll echo Chris's comments about the Roland digital desks - very capable and I love mine to bits. The only thing I don't think you can control via midi that I've discovered so far (or rather, that I've needed to do) is a DCA level. My ideal would be 24 full channels on the console, followed by 8 DCA's on the fader wing. Sadly it doesn't appear to support this.

Wish I had a pound for every time I read X32 etc...., Roland make a great desk at a great price

The X32 costs £2.7K for 32 input channels including pre-amps and 25 faders. You can't do exactly the same with the Roland system but to get in the same ballpark you'd need an M300 plus snake plus REAC boxes which puts it way above Behringer in cost at around 4K for the M-300 before you start adding REAC boxes and in the same ball park as the A&H GLD systems but below the iLive systems.

If you worked up from a M200i which is cheaper than the X32 you'd need to add an iPad and a REAC box to get to feature parity which again would put it above the X32 in price.

I've never used the Roland system so I can't comment about how good or not it is, however they aren't in the same price bracket as at least the full size X32, the M200i might be more comparable with an X32 Compact if you already own the iPad.

Archived