Clarification regarding digital wireless

Poormusician

I imagine the potential disadvantage of that Shure system would be the battery - without a well managed process to ensure that they're always charged and ready, if someone wants to use them at short notice and they're not charged, they're out of luck. At least the systems that take AA batteries can always be used at the drop of a hat.

My old school had an entire system installed in the school hall for assemblies and also for use on shows. The company that installed it showed the deputy head how to turn the system on and off and make noise come out. No technician on site. As you can imagine it wasn't long before it wasn't used anymore. !

These problems sadly come down to the individual teacher's skill set. For years school lighting relied on an interested physics teacher to take charges, and an interested art teacher to do the scenery, and of course an interested music teacher to look after the music. Indeed, I'm always reminded of the old black and white carry on film that's on tv fairly often. Nowadays, it seems that many teachers don't do this kind of thing and have very few skills outside their training. Exam boards now have to 'suggest' in detail what is done and they now have to provide example schemes of work and in my humble opinion, it's preventing innovation. Some of my old students, now school heads of department attempt to do what we did at college and the notion other teachers will help is just wrong. Their technical jobs like programming lights and sorting the radio mics have to be done by them, and they're doing their best. If they get a job in a new school, then their replacement may just not do the shows and the kit will fester on the shelf.

Schools are VERY different. Some do professional quality productions with huge budgets, others do five minute excerpts in uniform with the only lighting being illumination by as many lanterns that light up since installed. It does not impact on grades. Why spend money on something that doesn't matter? You hear this quite often.

In the OP's position, I'd submit a realistic budget, including both capital cost and on-going operating expenses (including batteries, annual licences and replacement capsules) and see if they faint. If you want to be really thorough, get a quote from a local hire company for rental systems X times per year as per the expected requirements. Don't forget to add batteries to the rental cost though.

I would have thought, whoever was competent enough to engineer six radio mics should have the wherewithal to collect and care for the mics at the end of each session.
Quite a different skill-set. By the time you turn the mixer off, three sets of parents are chatting with their offspring, trying to get them home for a sensible bed time. Of the other three sets, one is around the back of the bike sheds having a fag, one of the girls is in the loo, and lord only knows where little Johnny has gone.

Mixing? PAH!

;)

Afraid that doesn't work at all. You can't use Ch69 at all, and yes you will require a license for Ch38.These cost £75/year (or £135 for 2 years) per channel.

As I understand it the charge covers any radio mic the licence holder uses on CH38 and that multiple radio mics can be used simultaneously the exact number depending on make model etc. 8 to 10 or so is it?

I would have thought, whoever was competent enough to engineer six radio mics should have the wherewithal to collect and care for the mics at the end of each session.
Quite a different skill-set. By the time you turn the mixer off, three sets of parents are chatting with their offspring, trying to get them home for a sensible bed time. Of the other three sets, one is around the back of the bike sheds having a fag, one of the girls is in the loo, and lord only knows where little Johnny has gone.

Mixing? PAH!

;)

And exactly what did that pack fall in? You've been there and done that haven't you. Oh boy do I agree. Try getting 1300 packs (IEMs) back at the end of very long days.

Afraid that doesn't work at all. You can't use Ch69 at all, and yes you will require a license for Ch38.These cost £75/year (or £135 for 2 years) per channel.

As I understand it the charge covers any radio mic the licence holder uses on CH38 and that multiple radio mics can be used simultaneously the exact number depending on make model etc. 8 to 10 or so is it?

The per channel licence refers to the UHF channel 38, not radio mic channels. You can use as many mics as you like within channel 38 under that one licence. Unlike ch.69 which contained 14 distinct frequencies, in ch.38 you can use whatever frequencies you want to. How many mics you can fit in there rather depends on the equipment you're using. 10 is fairly easy; more can be achieved with better equipment.

Hi Bobbsy,

I really appreciate your extremely balanced perspective. You made some great points and one which I totally concur with, it's also about the teachers. I am in essence their technician, although on a voluntary basis when I have the time. That said, I believe that if the teachers are educated in and have the cost of replacement gear explained, they tend to be more respectful of the gear and this is then passed down to the kids. (Sure, you still have the odd accident on occasion, but generally I have found it works).

Many thanks again,

Ian

Archived