Advice to rejuvenate a community theatre

pstoneman

Most community venues do indeed just have a pile of lighting kit in a cupboard somewhere. If you're lucky the guy who unlocks the front door will know how to turn it on.

If you're the person who chose the gear, that makes you the expert, and you will receive phone calls at all hours if it is not very simple to operate.

So yes, you need to design a system for operation by stupid people.

Yes but it doesn't need to be a set of levers. It could equally well be a touch screen with the right interface - which may not look anything like folk my age would be used to.

Now you wouldn't have seen me say anything of the sort, say, five years ago but that was before the tablet. I sometimes wonder if even the wing is designed to keep us 'old timers' in our comfort zone!

On the subject of the OP I know sometimes you have to spend the money now or lose it but I really do wonder if now might be one time to sit back and wait if that's possible....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lighting desk much like the simple ones I mentioned above are simple, you can mark them up and job done, and people wont and cant go wrong with them and damage is fixable. A tower or laptop will get fiddled with*, it is a computer, we are not talking about oh a desk is a pc by any other name.

Sorry yes I agree with your point on simple desks. My point over comparisons was between PC-based systems, and their equivalent desks.

Whether the tower or laptop gets fiddled with is really down to how it's set up, not what it actually is. If you're not going to set it up to be mess-with proof, then yes, it will get messed with. Guess what? This is why lighting desk companies make them miss-with proof.

Archived