Technical Theatre for actors - 1 hour class

cedd

A very important one in my experience is 'practising' getting on and off stage under workers in absolute silence. Another one you can demonstrate like Bobbsy's 'gossiping' example is how eye-catching it is to the audience is having someone touching the tabs while in, or one of the legs while the lights are up and they are waiting in the to go on.

A very important one in my experience is 'practising' getting on and off stage under workers in absolute silence. Another one you can demonstrate like Bobbsy's 'gossiping' example is how eye-catching it is to the audience is having someone touching the tabs while in, or one of the legs while the lights are up and they are waiting in the to go on.

Not to mention standing where you can see the audience (and over that strange line on the stage which says "L.O.S.")! Lots of options to choose from for an hour's course!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did the 3 sessions last night. I think on the whole it was a success!

The first group were a bit younger than I expected (8 to 11 year olds) but were fantastic. Really interested and they hadn't come across any of the stage directions I used in the quick warm up game, so it was nice to see stage left and stage right really sinking in. There were only 8 of them in this group, so we all sat around a big sheet of paper and I got them to imagine we were putting on a show and write down as many people as they could think of that we might need to put it on. I also let them get a bit artistic using stick figures next to the descriptions. Then I went through and we spoke about each job and some of its' responsibilities and some useful things about each role for them to bear in mind as actors, including safety stuff, how not to upset them and some useful technical bits and bobs. This formed the bulk of the session time and it went remarkably quickly, with lots of questions and discussion. The session ended with them all getting chance to wear a radio mic and headset, and to hear themselves singing a song in groups from their upcoming show. This particular section of the lesson was a request from the staff at the school because their show is a very quick get-in so the kids only get a dress rehearsal to get used to them, having often never worn one before. To be honest I didn't think it was a huge problem, but they seemed to enjoy it and it meant I got lots of time to discuss taking care of a mic and how to fit them and take them off without causing damage (having lost lots of headsets to rough handling on their last show).

The second group were teenagers and were a bit less keen to contribute to start with, but they warmed up towards the end. Similar structure but slightly more depth.

The session was slightly curtailed by a power cut, which ended classes a bit early, but I got all the big stuff covered.

Thanks for all your assistance in writing the session. The teachers felt the stuff we covered was genuinely useful and I've been asked to come back in the summer to do something as part of their summer school, though I'm not sure if there's much more I can cover when we're sat in a church hall rather than a theatre. I'll have a think.

Archived