Minnie the Magic Piano

WiLL

Just finished making 'Minnie the Magic Piano' for a production of 'Salad Days' the musical. The show features a 4 octave piano which can be wheeled around by the cast, appear to be played (the keys are mute but functional) with a functioning lid, top-lid, 2 secret cubby doors, a stool which rides on the handles when not in use, liberaci style reading lamps and a 'rear-lamp' for when it's being moved in traffic. Stole the keys from an old midi keyboard off ebay, as are the lamps, all the rest is built from scratch.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/WiLLF77/Props%20what%20I%20have%20made/Minnie_zpscd6c5e7d.jpg

That's brilliant, well done.

Are you building a flying saucer too?

It's a tiny venue so the saucer is going to be a circular floor cloth painted with a royal doultonesque blue and white china pattern, then I'll 'do' the rest with lighting :)

Funnily enough, I was talking about "the piano, the piano, oh the one that make's you gay"

this morning as we shifted an upright.

I did Salad Days as one of my first pro shows in around 79/80 and used to be able to recite the entire script.

Nice build.

As an Old Vic'er (of the Bristol kind), I flew a production when I was in my first year. Not sure if it keeps coming around like a comet but I'm sure at one point it seemed as if you had to have done the show before they let you graduate. :)

Totally bizarre musical. But yes, anyone that knows about a piano that makes you gay is certain to bring it up during anything piano related, myself included.

Archived