SGM Giotto Spot 400 CMY - Opinions

clapagelighting

I have 8 in my rig and am reasonably into them, the only drawbacks I've had being their reliability and their size. That said, noise is not an issue to me, and their fan noise is reasonably high.

The beam is nice for the wattage. The front lens of the fixture is big, and the fixture end of the beam is quite wide at source if that makes sense. It makes for a different look to spots where the tip of the cone is at the fixture.

It depends how big your theatres are really. They are bright, they make nice looking beams and the colours and gobos are decent. But they're very big, they're also pretty heavy, and the fan noise is noticeable.

I have 24 in hire stock and they have worked very hard for me. Any reliability issues tend to be mechanical niggles that can be sorted easily and quickly without any new parts 90% of the time - and some of mine have well over 6000 hours on them!

I would say that their fan noise is fairly low compared with many similar size fixtures.

without a good stock of spare parts they die quite regularly.

There are a number of them here in Victoria Aust, where the running joke seems to be: Hire 10, get 20, and your show might have 8 working.

But most of them have been poorly looked after, and repaired using parts scrapped from other 400's

Yes that's not my experience at all. Reliabilty of the ballast has been an issue but besides that we have had them on over 150 shows with only one unit needing to see an ML tech....

As for the ballast, I think out power situation is possibly as much to blame as the units themselves

Archived