Should we have our own engineer?

BigYinUK

Great! That's virtually the same as our plan - so it's good to see it working nicely.

Since posting this morning, it's just occurred to me I have a Behringer rack mixer with 8 mic inputs somewhere - I can't place it at the moment, but it's somewhere, and I just checked and it has inserts, so there are my feeds! I could simply pop that and the P16i in a small rack and it would be simple? All I'd need to do is make sure the order of the inputs mimics the way the P16s work on the X32, so I don't have to remove the labels - just a few will be wrong.

I like your return for the drums - because our music is quite drum light, I was thinking of splitting out the overheads and the kick, because none of us have much drums in our mix anyway - leaves me the DI for the keys. we always mic the guitar and bass cabs anyway - so the 8 inputs would work for the mics and 2 lines for the keys.

Looks like I might be able to put together a system that will be swappable from the X32 to the other system.

now I know you mix your own ears id say yes to a man out front.

my point without knowing that, was that a man out front can make a good difference to the sound. however the wrong man on the monitor board and your in for a bumpy ride.

my 9 piece band have had a couple of terrible monitor engineers, and when things are that way, it is not fun at all, and very nearly fell apart. Sounds a bit ott, but in a big band, with brass, there are things I really need to hear, and things I really dont want to hear.

e2a: my pet hate is monitor engineers that mess about. ive had mixes that have gone from brilliant at the first song of a set to awful by the end. I guess they must think they are helping, but just leave it alone!!

We're mid transition - but the personal mixers are a real hit for me - BUT - if somebody changes gains on the desk, then it can go wrong very quickly - because on my P16, I've got 12 channels that do something, and although it's quick to bash one button and turn up or down one source, it much trickier when you can't immediately work out what exactly happened - apart from it's wrong.

We're mid transition - but the personal mixers are a real hit for me - BUT - if somebody changes gains on the desk, then it can go wrong very quickly - because on my P16, I've got 12 channels that do something, and although it's quick to bash one button and turn up or down one source, it much trickier when you can't immediately work out what exactly happened - apart from it's wrong.

Here's an idea...

You could use ADA8000's or more likely their replacement ADA 8200 as both analogue to digital converter for your P16i and splitter for analogue audio to FOH. They have 8 balanced line level outputs on XLR on the rear panel. Assuming your monitor gains are all sensible this could be a neat and cost effective solution. It's got the Midas name on it as well if that floats your boat.

Cheers,

Peter

The only potential snag with this approach is that you only have whatever mixing facilities are built into the P16. The OP is having to use an additional mixer to get reverb into his vocalists mixes, for example. But for those with simpler requirements, it could work great.

I'd be tempted by a X32 rack personally, it's a bit more expensive overall than two ADAs and a P16, but it does a lot more too and could easily perform FOH duties for smaller self-operated gigs but retains a small enough form factor to be tour-friendly.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd be tempted by a X32 rack personally, it's a bit more expensive overall than two ADAs and a P16...

Looks like Behringer may have been listening; the new Air series mixers look a cost effective option for an Ultralink to P16 mixer, having, depending on the model, up to 16 mic pres, and an ultralink output. Wont be a flexible as an X32, but more so than ADAs and a P16i, and has effects.

I swore I would never mix on an ipad by choice but the xr16 comes in at a little over £300 and and fits in the palms of two hands.... I'm starting to think that at the price it would be mad NOT to have one. especially if the sound quality is similar to the x32.

Archived