Music recording format

Jivemaster

I'll cope with most formats but, given time, I'll copy everything to my laptop and use a simple piece of play out software to play back from. Solves all those "There's two versions of track three so tracks four to eleven are actually five to twelve. Oh, and can you play track 9 segued into track 7?"

"There's two versions of track three so tracks four to eleven are actually five to twelve. Oh, and can you play track 9 segued into track 7?"

I did a community gig where a tribe of rappers insisted on us hiring in a Pioneer CDJ thingy, much against our grain. They began the event by beating the player with a stick while calling me all sorts of names over the PA as incompetent. I kept it ultra-cool, took a look at the set-up and pushed the "reverse play" button wotsit.

Even after half an hour of explanation they still couldn't understand that trying to play backwards from the start of track one was a bit silly. They just could not admit they hadn't a clue about the kit they had specified.

Hey Ho.

"There's two versions of track three so tracks four to eleven are actually five to twelve. Oh, and can you play track 9 segued into track 7?"

I did a community gig where a tribe of rappers insisted on us hiring in a Pioneer CDJ thingy, much against our grain. They began the event by beating the player with a stick while calling me all sorts of names over the PA as incompetent. I kept it ultra-cool, took a look at the set-up and pushed the "reverse play" button wotsit.

The number one rule of operating Pioneer DJ mixers is that you have to constantly make nano-turn adjustments to all the EQ knobs. Like totally inaudible but highly concentrated adjustments to all of your EQ, all of the time.

If you don't know what I'm on about, watch a video of a DJ!

The number one rule of operating Pioneer DJ mixers is that you have to constantly make nano-turn adjustments to all the EQ knobs. Like totally inaudible but highly concentrated adjustments to all of your EQ, all of the time.

If you don't know what I'm on about, watch a video of a DJ!

It's probably fair to say that the DJ is the grand-daddy of the DFA knob ;)

Except they think it does do something! :o

I thought sony was stopping making minidisk media, I remember someone was for sure and it was a big hitter.

Sony DID stop production of the pro range of MD drives that were put in fully functioned professional machines, but the current players seem to use the basic "home" MD drive with little problem.

Thanks for the answers to the thread. I think an added CD and MD should bomb proof the act against booker communication issues without having our own rack of kit and bag of leads.

The concern of low bit rate music being unacceptable never seems to occur to dance schools, with the few rare exceptions. Ian, my sound man is VERY old school, and despite having the card player in the rack, had never used it since installed, and was a little surprised to be given one. It worked fine, pressing go produced the music they lurched to, although we did notice the dancers were making a little heavy water over the number and looked quite relieved when it ended. Afterwards Ian was playing with it, sort of grudgingly and then discovered the pitch adjust and TEMPO adjust were separate, and he'd played the track amazingly speeded up. Nobody said a thing, apart from something about the stage must have been bigger than they expected as they had to travel faster?

I don't know why I missed MD? I agree it's still very popular, and long may it remain so!

Here here. I've always found it to be a great format with far better compression than mp3. Shame it didn't take off better. The natural and better successor to cassette in my opinion.

Whatever format(s) you use alwyas carry a player, the PA co may only carry what they need which usually means background music is on a I pod, I use uncompressed and a digital ouptput dock. The tech rider may not get passed on by the promoter which has happened to me a few times now. Problems like this are usually solved but the less problems to fix then generally then better your show

more or less everyone I've ever worked with/for supplies a minijack cable as standard (or I have one in my adapters bag anyway), but won't supply any playback devices (even a laptop unless the tech has their own) unless it has been arranged in advance, so I would look at simply bringing a player with XLR outputs, and a couple of adapters to get to TRS/phono if needed. It also helps stop situations where you need auto-pause, but their player does not support it etc..

By default we always have, set up and patched:

1 x Tascam SS-CDR200 (CD, USB, SD and CF in 1U)

1 x Numark iDec (2u ipod docking station, albeit less used now since it's only on 30pin)

1 x Radial AV1 DI (choice of 1/4", RCA. 3.5mm, with mono summing)

1 x Radial USB DI (for laptops, macbooks, etc)

Minidisc recently relegated to rider specific/"on request in advance", along with analog cassette & DAT, the latter two which never get asked for nowadays.

Archived